Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Warning about frying new potatoes in hot oil

1. Dec 31, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Tined new potatoes do not attempt to fry them, they explode, i have just finished cleaning
    all the cooking oil of the walls ceiling etc, all i did was pour the potatoes into hot fat and
    within minutes they started exploding, i saw one jump 6 inches into the air, i could not get near the pan because of the hot oil being exploded out, i had to get a coat and put it over me and turn the cooker off at the wall socket, heck knows what would of happened if i had a gas cooker, hmpfff cheese sarnie for dinner, bloody spuds.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Did you fry them whole? Steam builds up within the potatoes which is why you need to stab holes into them to allow for the release of steam.

If they were cut up, there might have been too much moisture and too many for the fryer at once?

4. Dec 31, 2007 #3
    That's very interesting. Your fire may be too hot. For the next time, cook the patatoes for a few (5-10) minutes first, or alternately use the microwave to heat them up before frying. It soften them up and the water vapor can escape instead of piling to explode eventually. Deep frying is not the best option. But you can use the wok and bake them together with bacon, onions, peppers and when almost done, cover the mass with cheese crumbs (parmesan for instance) on a soft fire until it's all molten. If you succeed to do that safely, you will return there many times.

In fact, that's what I'm about to do. caution with the microwave, not longer than 1 - 1.5 minute at the time and judge the temp in between.

I didn't realize that cooking was that hazardous.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  5. Dec 31, 2007 #4
    \\:rofl:

6. Dec 31, 2007 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You haven't known Wolram very long... putting boots on is hazardous...

7. Dec 31, 2007 #6

Evo

Can you imagine Wolram and I together under the same roof? :bugeye:

8. Dec 31, 2007 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. But you'd both be in padded cells for your own good. I hear they do good bread and water in such places. :wink::tongue2:

9. Dec 31, 2007 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Yes i cut the bigger ones, they were the worst ,exploding and jumping inches out of the pan, just when i though it was all over another one would explode, i have never seen any thing like it.

10. Dec 31, 2007 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Hey that is no fair, who would ever think a potato could explode?

11. Dec 31, 2007 #10
    I think maybe it was the water in the canned potatos reacting to the hot oil. Canned foods suck up a fair amount of H2O.

12. Dec 31, 2007 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know but it would be a classy way for bond to escape in a film. Potato in the microwave or tinned ones on the cooker waiting to go off and hinder the bad guys.

13. Dec 31, 2007 #12

Evo

I saw the most disgusting recipe on the Food Network yesterday. You cut squares out of cold congealed macaroni and cheese, wrap it in raw bacon, dredge it in flour, then in beaten egg, then in crackers crumbs, then deep fry it. :surprised Talk about an artery clogging catastrophe.

I've noticed fried macaroni and cheese in the grocery store, along with deep fried wads of corn and deep fried wads of brocolli and cheese, and deep fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

What is going on?

14. Dec 31, 2007 #13

wolram

Gold Member

I have just read the small print on the tin, it say, not suitable for microwaving or frying, how daft is that, who reads all the print on tins before use?

15. Dec 31, 2007 #14

wolram

Gold Member

they deep fry Mars Bars and Snicker bars over here, the only thing i like battered and deep fried is fish.

16. Dec 31, 2007 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Great idea Andre, i do not have bacon so i am using corned beef.

17. Dec 31, 2007 #16

turbo

Gold Member

:yuck: That network has got to be the most useless source of "recipes" around. I'm surprised they didn't bread the mess in Hamburger Helper.

18. Dec 31, 2007 #17

Evo

Oh no, deep fried Hamburger Helper, that's next.

19. Dec 31, 2007 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Woolie, check that tin again. I think that you accidentally bought the genetically engineered potato/popcorn hybrids. They're supposed to be labelled.

20. Dec 31, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:yuck: Which show was THAT on? That's horrible sounding.

Haven't seen most of those, but tried the broccoli and cheese bite things. Thought they might be a good appetizer (they were breaded and bake in the oven, not actually deep fried, so not sure if it's exactly the same as you meant). I've been served broccoli and cheese type appetizers before. These were not very good though. They had an odd taste that I think came from the breading, so I tossed the rest of them. Of course, these things are being served in the vegetable aisle, not with the frozen appetizers, which means there are people cooking up a package of those and eating them as their vegetables and wondering why they're still fat even though they're eating broccoli. As a pass around appetizer, the idea isn't so bad, because you'd only eat one or two per person and it would only be a once in a while on a special occasion type food, but as a regular vegetable...:yuck:

21. Dec 31, 2007 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?