Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Was einstein knowledge on science all by his own

1. Dec 7, 2014 #1
    Einstein education was just formal , then how did he got to know all about current research at his time. So did he studied all by his own?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2

NTW

Scientific journals existed...

4. Dec 7, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you mean "just formal". Do you have some belief that "formal" education does not include keeping up with what is current?

5. Dec 7, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In today's terminology, when Einstein wrote his famous papers in 1905, he was an "ABD" = "All But Dissertation". That is, he had completed the studies for a Ph.D. and needed only to submit a dissertation. It meant that he was acquainted with the scientific literature of the day, as published in dead-tree / dead-cow format and available in his university library.

6. Dec 8, 2014 #5
    I mean without talking to experts i.e did he had any friend who was an expert with whom he could clear any doubts. Or he used to clear all his doubts just by studying on his own.

7. Dec 8, 2014 #6

NTW

Michele Besso was a close friend, and a good mathematician. The GTR was written with his collaboration, but that was in 1915/16. But the four important papers that Einstein wrote in 1905, his 'Wunderjahr', were apparently completely original. There has been, however, some speculation with the possibility that his wife, Mileva Maric, might have helped him...

8. Dec 8, 2014 #7

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

At the end of his 1905 special-relativity paper is the following (in translation):

9. Dec 8, 2014 #8
    That is, before einstein first paper if I am right in 1900, he was independently investigating and had been keeping watch on latest scientific finding with his friends. Even independently he was able to understood them well and solve them as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook