Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Watched a participant jump to his death

1. Oct 21, 2006 #1
    If everyone else jumped off a bridge...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061021/ap_on_re_us/bridge_day_death

:devil:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ok, once the dead guy is out of the way we can get back to having fun!!! :bugeye:

4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
    Base Jumping looks so crazy! I would put that on my list of things to do before I die; maybe I should put it closer to the end of my list :smile:

5. Oct 21, 2006 #4
    I don'y know about you but after one person died, Im quite certain I wouldn't jump... Althought I would like to try skydiving someday. If I get a chance and get good id try base jumping but theres no was id ever just base jump with no experiance. Its all timing. So much could go wrong

6. Oct 21, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahhh, now I understand why they charge a "property tax" on cars in this state (and in some counties, they even charge it for dogs!) to fund the education system. Apparently, the education system is desperate for help. :uhh:

7. Oct 21, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, put it RIGHT before you die. :biggrin: :devil:

8. Oct 21, 2006 #7
    Thats what id do :biggrin:

9. Oct 21, 2006 #8
    Ohh, no question about that. There is no way I would do it out of nowhere. I think I would most certainly go skydiving first.

10. Oct 22, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I would have considered this an instance of evolution in action, except the guy was too old already. Maybe it was just senility in action.

11. Oct 22, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I heard an expert base jumper defend his sport as safer than driving because many more people are killed in auto accidents than base jumping accidents... Okay, that settles that: Darwinian sport.

I once saw a woman base jump from a cliff for her 40th birthday. The chute failed and she dropped like a rock, and died. The logic in jumping from a cliff just didn't work for me anymore after that.

12. Oct 22, 2006 #11
    A fascinating, information-free statistic. It's really quite impossible for the tiny, loony community of base-jumpers to outperish the ~1 million auto deaths per year, unless they each died thousands of times over, per year, from jumping accidents alone. So the statistic basically assures us that, the average base-jumper only kills himself hundreds of times per year or fewer.

Now that's a content-free statistic!

13. Oct 22, 2006 #12

moo

This made me literally "LOL". :biggrin:

I'm with Rach3 on this one. By this standard, even suicide is safer than driving. Of course, some drivers I've seen... :eek:

My personal sentiments are much the same for all parachuting sports. I just can't see any reason to jump from a perfectly good airplane, bridge, cliff, etc... :uhh:

moo

14. Oct 22, 2006 #13

russ_watters

Well, iirc, you'd have to do normal skydiving something like 100 times (or was it 1000? Can't remember right now) a year for the risk to equal the risk of dying in a car accident.

Base jumping just cuts out all of the safety margins normal skydiving has.

15. Oct 22, 2006 #14

Yeah, because you're just throwing the parachute out. You would have to hope that you have good timing, because theres so little time to react than in skydiving.

16. Oct 22, 2006 #15

moo

Lol, yeah but I'm more oriented toward increasing the risk of living. Maybe it's just a personal quirk... :biggrin:

moo

17. Oct 22, 2006 #16

russ_watters

Well to me, decreasing your risk of dying also decreases your risk of living. Ie, most things that are worth doing involve some level of risk.

18. Oct 22, 2006 #17

russ_watters

Ok, found it: odds of dying skydiving (per dive) 1 in 75,000. ( http://www.skydivecsc.com/skydive/skydiving_statistics.php )

One-year odds of dying in a car accident: 1 in 6,500 ( http://www.reason.com/rb/rb081106.shtml )

So I was off by an order of magnitude - to equalize your odds of dying in a car and dying skydiving, you'd have to jump eleven times a year, not 100.

Anyway, yeah, I know this thread was about base jumping - I'm just saying, everyone needs to try skydiving once...

19. Oct 22, 2006 #18

moo

Ah, so no backup chute for you then? Ya must be a hoot at Russian Roulette parties. I'M KIDDING! :biggrin:

Some things, but it's the level of risk and "worth doing" we disagree on here. Risking death for less than 3 minutes of fun just doesn't happen to meet my personal criteria. I do however, wish you the best of luck at it. :wink:

moo

20. Oct 22, 2006 #19

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    That's one of the funniest things that I've read all year.

Get yer mitts off my medal, you little twerp. :tongue:

21. Oct 22, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, I'm not seeing the logic here. I should try skydiving because less people die doing that than in car accidents? What about other serious injuries? And, I'm still pretty certain the odds of being injured or dying from skydiving are MUCH higher if I actually jump from the plane than if I stay here with my feet firmly planted on the ground.

By the way, that's a rather dubious comparison of statistics there. You're comparing the risk of dying per jump to the risk of dying in a car accident per person. Completely different methods of calculation.

Now, for car fatality statistics, the number of people getting into a car sometime in their lifetime is probably pretty close to the entire population, minus a few Amish perhaps. So, the 1 in 6500 people dying in car accidents is probably pretty close to the number of people getting into cars dying in car accidents. But, according to that first site you linked to, there are only about 25,000 active skydivers (I can't find a statistic for the number of people jumping in any given year to match to the number of fatalities), but in 2004 there were 24 skydiving fatalities in the US. That would put the risk a bit closer to 1 in 1000 skydivers dying in a giving year.

If you're going to calculate the risk by number of jumps, rather than by number of jumpers, like in the site you linked to, then you'd need to calculate the number of car trips made in a year by each member of the population, not the number of people getting into cars anytime in the year. If you calculate it that way, the risk would be much, much, much, much lower. At a bare minimum, most people get into a car at least twice a day to get to school or work or a store and then back home again, and of course there are people who make dozens of trips a day, shuttling kids back and forth to all sorts of activities, running errands to multiple locations, working as delivery drivers, etc. And, well, there are also newborn infants who don't go much of anywhere in cars for a few months, other than the occassional check-up at the pediatrician's office. So, even if I made a very conservative calculation that everyone makes two car trips per day, that's 2 trips/person/day x 365 days/year = 730 car trips/person/year. Multiply that by the population (I'll stick with the population given for the year in your link that has the number of car fatalities). 291,000,000 people * 730 car trips/person/year = 212,430,000,000 car trips/year. NOW you can make a comparison to the number of skydives per year. 212,430,000,000 car trips/year divided by 45,000 car fatalities/year = 4,720,667 So, there's a risk of 1 fatality in 4,720,667 car trips per year. Far better than one fatality in 75,000 jumps, and I'm fairly confident that my estimate of car trips per day is an underestimate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?