1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Water recycle system (regarding what is the CFC system)

1. Aug 29, 2013 #1
    Hello!

I am currently trying to figure out how a water recycling machine works (this machine http://www.floridawb.info/page45.html except I have the CW2 version). I am stumbling a bit on understanding the CFC system of this machine. I believe it has something to do with the cataclytic chamber on the machine.
    Quote from product catalog: "CO3P - Catalytic Oxidation Process
    The most advanced oxidation technology available. This low maintenance system is ideal for elimination of contaminants such as organics, pesticides, algae, bacteria, color, and odors. The oxidation process creates a hydroxyl radical through the use of ozone, UV light, and RGF’s Oxy Puck, which actually oxidizes the contaminants to harmless carbon dioxide and water, thereby decontaminating the water and increasing filter life."

All I know about the acronym CFC is chlorofluorocarbon, but it would be weird if this were related to my recycling machine?

Would really appreciate some help here if anyone knows something about this!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The acronym CFC is not unique in referring to chlorofluorocarbons. In this application, CFC could refer to something else entirely.

4. Sep 4, 2013 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Here's how one company's system works. Does this answer your doubt?

The Anguil Catalytic Recuperative Oxidizer destroys Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAPs), Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and odorous emissions that are often discharged from industrial processes. The air pollution control device achieves emission destruction at significantly lower temperatures than thermal oxidation through the use of catalyst, converting pollutants to carbon dioxide, water vapor and heat.

VOC and HAP laden process gas is either pushed or pulled into a metal heat exchanger inside the oxidizer via a system fan. The contaminated airstream is progressively heated while traveling through the heat exchanger towards the combustion chamber. At the burner, the process gas is raised to the catalyst operating temperature. As the heated gas passes through the catalyst, an exothermic (heat releasing) reaction takes place. The pollutants are converted to carbon dioxide, water vapor and heat.

Once oxidized across the catalyst, the hot, purified air passes through the opposite side of the heat exchanger and releases thermal energy to preheat the incoming air. The heat exchanger reduces the auxiliary fuel requirement, thus saving operating cost, allowing self-sustaining operation with no auxiliary fuel usage at Lower Explosive Limits (LEL) levels of 8-12%. Finally, the cooler, purified air is exhausted to the atmosphere through the system stack.

http://www.anguil.com/oxidizers/catalytic-recuperative.aspx?gclid=CMSM6P2gsbkCFQto7Aod7WoAZQ

5. Sep 5, 2013 #4

etudiant

Gold Member

Where does the phrase 'CFC system' even appear?
    I could not see it in the literature you referenced, so the context is lacking.
    Meanwhile 'Bobbywhy' has graciously provided the answer to the original question.

6. Sep 5, 2013 #5
    I've finally managed to get my hands on a manual for the operation of the machine, but the process described in the manual combined with the process you provided a description of "Bobbywhy" really helped me get a better and more clear understanding of the process. Thank you very much for your reply!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook