1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Confluence: Ship & Radiotowers (Check Needed)

1. Jul 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ship floats across the coat, at a distance d = 600 m from it. The radio of the ship receives simultaneously signals of the same frequency from RadioTowers A & B, which are L = 800 m apart. At Point G (Γ), the two waves confluent in a strengthening way, where G's (Γ) distances from A & B are the same (rA = rB). At point D (Δ), which is right across B, the signal reaches its First Minimum. Find the wavelength λ.

ka6KgpQ9eAAHkmPAk5i5PsIbNEOsu4uIDlaX7SkcWDOEH2IbHavkMSaHRSdLijzR911Kol8-c-T8qPg&owa=outlook.live.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Δr = n*λ , n = 0,1,2,3... (Strengthening-A'=2)
    Δr = n*(λ/2), n = 1,3,5... (Weakening-A'=0)

3. The attempt at a solution

When the book says "First Minimum arrives at..." in every case it means Δr = n*λ/2 with n = 1. So i went ahead and found rA & rB for Δ through the forming triangles, put them in the above formula and got λ = 140 m. Which is wrong. I kinda figured that since I didn't use the stuff for Γ, but anyway. I turned back and saw that the answer was λ = 800 m. Which is a pretty big number.

So I thoughout of it this way: The signals arrive at Γ, the composite wave starts the way a y = Asin(...) wave would (no Initial Phase so it goes from "zero" to +A and then back down) and at Δ it's where the composite wave reaches the "horizontal axis" again, ie it covers λ/2 in length. Through that and the info about Γ (used the rs to find ΑΓ = ΓΒ = 400 m) I did λ/2 = 400 m <=> λ = 800 m

Now the result is correct, but I have no idea if the whole thing has any logic behind it. I was just trying stuff until I got the correct result. I mean, in every exercise thus far "First Minimum" just means Δr = λ/2.

Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not clear to me what you did, but it does not sound right. Please post the details.

4. Jul 19, 2017 #3
    Yeah, I checked it again this morning and figured out my mistake. I messed up on the Pythagorean Theorem. But to break this down:

At Δ we have the "First Minimum", so the signals that arrive from A & B there are out of phase, and result in the Amplitude A of the combined wave being 0. Thus, Δr = n*λ/2, in regards to Δ. But it's the 1st Minimum, so n = 1. Now I need to find rA & rB, or ΑΔ & ΒΔ. ΒΔ is d = 600 m. For ΑΔ we construct the triangle with ΑΔ as the hypotenouse, as seen here:

Gqgfedi.jpg

So, ΑΔ = sqrt(L2 + d2) = sqrt(8002 m2 + 6002 m2) = 1000 m

Now we have Δr = |rA - rB| = | 1000 m - 600 m | = 400 m = 1*λ/2 <=> λ = 800 m

And that's it. I messed up the Pythagorean at first and then everything spiralled from there. I still have a question though: Why tell me that in Γ the two waves confluent in a strengthening way/A' = 2A? I didn't use it anywhere. Couldn't it have just given me the info about Δ?

5. Jul 19, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because that tells you that the transmissions are in phase. E.g. if there were 180 degrees out of phase then it would have been destructive interference at Γ and reinforcing at Δ.

6. Jul 19, 2017 #5
    I figured as much, but I wasn't sure if it was hiding something else. Just to recap though: Because they arrive at the same time and I know that ΑΓ = ΓΒ, that means they're in phase. Otherwise, I'd get a different result. And thus when I go to Δ and find that Δr = n*λ/2, I don't have to factor any phase differences. Got it.

I have a question though: Doesn't the Δr = ...λ/... give me my answer already? If for example I was given the distance of Δ from Α & Β, plus λ. But I didn't know the confluence there. Then say I just put Δr & λ in both formulas, and for argument's sake, let's say that there was a reinforced interference at Δ (so Δr = n*λ). Would I be able to deduce whether the waves are out of phase or not?

There is an exercise example in my book, where there are there are two speakers. A receiver stands in such a way that the 1st Minimum arrives there, so Δr = λ/2. Then, in the "what if" section, it says that if the waves had a phase difference of λ/2, and due to them being placed in such a way that Δr, in regards to the receiver's position, equals λ/2. So that means that at the receiver the two waves have areinforced interference.

I get that on a theoretical level, but how would that work on a problem? Which formula would I use? Δr = nλ/2 or Δr = nλ? Technically it's the first one, but according to it there should be a destructive interference, which isn't true. Are there any other formulas to use in circumstances where the waves are not in phase? I seem to remember something like that from High School, but my book doesn't have anything. I get the theory part, but dunno how to "work" this in problems.

7. Jul 19, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Only if they were emitted in phase.
    In general, 2πΔr/λ tells you the phase shift. This has to be added to whatever the initial phase difference was.

8. Jul 19, 2017 #7
    Ah yeah, now I'm starting to remember. Any link to where I can read about that? Wikipedia is pretty unreliable. It seems my book has only the "in phase" occurances, and I'm afraid I'm not learning all that properly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted