1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave on a string, and the chain rule argh

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    So, I am working through the wave equation for a review before my friend and I go off to grad school. It has been a couple of years since we both graduated with our BS in Physics.

So, here is the question:

Suppose I want to solve the wave equation using a change of variables. Lets use [tex]\alpha = x+ct[/tex], and [tex]\beta = x-ct, and\: u = \alpha + \beta[/tex]

The wave equation is
    [tex]\frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial t^{2}}=c^{2}\frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}}[/tex]

Now, if we take the partial derivative of u with respect to x and applying the chain rule one gets:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial \alpha}\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial \beta}\frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x}[/tex]

Now if we evaluate [tex]\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}, and \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} [/tex] we get
    [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial \alpha} + \frac {\partial u}{\partial \beta} [/tex]

So, what and how do I evaluate the second partial differential with respect to x? I get

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} = \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \alpha^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \beta^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} [/tex]

Now, I know this isn't quite right. I am supposed to get:
    [tex] \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} = \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \alpha^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \alpha \partial \beta}}\ \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \beta \partial \alpha}}\ \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \beta^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} [/tex]

Can anyone help me? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2
    just think about what d/dx is from your first chain rule equation (factor out the u on which the differential acts on). then use this to find the second derivative and u'll get the mixed terms.
  4. Jul 24, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you are going for the second derivative, apply the operator:

\frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x} \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} + \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} \frac {\partial }{\partial \beta}

to [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex].
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  5. Jul 24, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the input guys. That works. I just didn't think to look at it that way and treat the chain rule as an operator.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?