Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave packets that feel harmonic potential

1. Jun 6, 2007 #1
    Are there any nice wave packets you could write as a superposition of eigenstate solutions of a one-dimensional harmonic oscillator? The question deals with a situation, where a particle feels a harmonic potential, but is far away from the center and is travelling as a wave packet, probably oscillating like a classical particle before spreading.

I tried the usual gaussian wave packet, but it lead to an integral

[tex]
    \int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} H_n(x) e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx
    [/tex]

which I found too difficult for myself. Do you know if a foolproof technique already exists for integrating this, or if there is other kind of wave packets that are easier?

[tex]H_n[/tex] is Hermite's polynomial.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2007 #2
    Hello,

The problem you meet seems "how to do the integral [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx[/tex]"
    I try your problem as far as i can ( with brute force >"< ):
    In the begining, use the generating function of Hermite polynomials
    [tex]e^{-t^2+2tx}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}t^nH_n(x)[/tex]
    Multiply [tex]e^{-Ax^2+Bx}[/tex] both sides and integral over all [tex]x[/tex]:
    [tex]\text{L.H.S.}=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-t^2+2tx}e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}}e^{-t^2}e^{\frac{(B+2t)^2}{4A}}[/tex]
    [tex]\text{R.H.S.}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}t^n\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx[/tex]
    One can calculate the Taylor expansion of the L.H.S. and find the coefficient of the [tex]\frac{t^n}{n!}[/tex] term:
    [tex]\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}}\left(\frac{\partial^n}{\partial t^n}e^{-t^2}e^{\frac{(B+2t)^2}{4A}}\right)_{t=0}[/tex]
    The integral you want appeals in the Taylor expansion coefficient of [tex]\frac{t^n}{n!}[/tex] term:
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}}\left(\frac{\partial^n}{\partial t^n}e^{-t^2}e^{\frac{(B+2t)^2}{4A}}\right)_{t=0}[/tex]
    Finally, it can be calculated further with Leibniz rule and obtain the result:
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}}e^{\frac{B^2}{4A}}\sum_{N=0}^{[\frac{n}{2}]}\frac{n!}{(n-2N)!N!}\left(\frac{1}{A}-1\right)^N\left(\frac{B}{A}\right)^{n-2N}[/tex]
    where [tex][x][/tex] gives the maximum integer that is equal to or less than [tex]x[/tex].

Best regards

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  4. Jun 6, 2007 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I'm on the road right now and don't have access to my books, but I do seem to remember that it's possible to construct a Gaussian wave packet for the SHO, and that in fact it doesn't "spread." That is, it's width [itex]\Delta x = \sqrt {<x^2> - <x>^2}[/itex] remains constant as the packet moves back and forth. I remember doing this as an exercise in grad school.

5. Jun 6, 2007 #4
    Nice trickery, variation! :tongue2: I just tried integration by parts and recursion relations of Hermites polynomials, without success. Seems I should add more tricks to my arsenal.

6. Jun 7, 2007 #5

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

Here you have them numerically:

the non-spreading version:

http://chip-architect.com/physics/gaussian.avi

A narrow Gaussian cyclically spreading out and contracting back:

http://chip-architect.com/physics/narrow_gaussian.avi

I wanted to visualize both the phase as well as the magnitude. It shows
    nicely how the phase change on the x-axis corresponds to the local
    momentum. The one spreading out has momentum going both ways
    while spreading out and contracting back again.

Regards, Hans

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  7. Jun 8, 2007 #6

Mentz114

Gold Member

Jostpuur, this is nicely done in 'Quantum Theory' by David Bohm (1951) Dover.
    On page 307 he derives the wave packet for the QSHO and gets the non-spreading WP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?