Wave packets that feel harmonic potential

In summary: He then says that for a finite energy spread (non-zero \Delta E) the packet will spread out in time, contrary to the classical case. So you are right, but in this particular case.In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of wave packets for the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator and the difficulty of integrating certain functions. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a non-spreading Gaussian wave packet for the SHO and provides numerical visualizations. The conversation concludes with a reference to a book discussing the topic.
jostpuur
Are there any nice wave packets you could write as a superposition of eigenstate solutions of a one-dimensional harmonic oscillator? The question deals with a situation, where a particle feels a harmonic potential, but is far away from the center and is traveling as a wave packet, probably oscillating like a classical particle before spreading.

I tried the usual gaussian wave packet, but it lead to an integral

[tex]
\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} H_n(x) e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx
[/tex]

which I found too difficult for myself. Do you know if a foolproof technique already exists for integrating this, or if there is other kind of wave packets that are easier?

[tex]H_n[/tex] is Hermite's polynomial.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

The problem you meet seems "how to do the integral [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx[/tex]"
I try your problem as far as i can ( with brute force >"< ):
In the begining, use the generating function of Hermite polynomials
[tex]e^{-t^2+2tx}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}t^nH_n(x)[/tex]
Multiply [tex]e^{-Ax^2+Bx}[/tex] both sides and integral over all [tex]x[/tex]:
[tex]\text{L.H.S.}=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-t^2+2tx}e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}}e^{-t^2}e^{\frac{(B+2t)^2}{4A}}[/tex]
[tex]\text{R.H.S.}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!}t^n\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx[/tex]
One can calculate the Taylor expansion of the L.H.S. and find the coefficient of the [tex]\frac{t^n}{n!}[/tex] term:
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}}\left(\frac{\partial^n}{\partial t^n}e^{-t^2}e^{\frac{(B+2t)^2}{4A}}\right)_{t=0}[/tex]
The integral you want appeals in the Taylor expansion coefficient of [tex]\frac{t^n}{n!}[/tex] term:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}}\left(\frac{\partial^n}{\partial t^n}e^{-t^2}e^{\frac{(B+2t)^2}{4A}}\right)_{t=0}[/tex]
Finally, it can be calculated further with Leibniz rule and obtain the result:
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}H_n(x)e^{-Ax^2+Bx}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{A}}e^{\frac{B^2}{4A}}\sum_{N=0}^{[\frac{n}{2}]}\frac{n!}{(n-2N)!N!}\left(\frac{1}{A}-1\right)^N\left(\frac{B}{A}\right)^{n-2N}[/tex]
where [tex][x][/tex] gives the maximum integer that is equal to or less than [tex]x[/tex].

Best regards

Last edited:
I'm on the road right now and don't have access to my books, but I do seem to remember that it's possible to construct a Gaussian wave packet for the SHO, and that in fact it doesn't "spread." That is, it's width [itex]\Delta x = \sqrt {<x^2> - <x>^2}[/itex] remains constant as the packet moves back and forth. I remember doing this as an exercise in grad school.

Nice trickery, variation! :tongue2: I just tried integration by parts and recursion relations of Hermites polynomials, without success. Seems I should add more tricks to my arsenal.

Last edited:
Jostpuur, this is nicely done in 'Quantum Theory' by David Bohm (1951) Dover.
On page 307 he derives the wave packet for the QSHO and gets the non-spreading WP.

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized disturbance or oscillation that travels through a medium. It is often described as a group of waves that have similar frequencies and wavelengths, and are moving in the same direction.

2. What is a harmonic potential?

A harmonic potential is a type of potential energy that varies with the distance between two objects or particles. It is characterized by a restoring force that increases as the distance between the objects decreases, and decreases as the distance increases.

3. How do wave packets experience harmonic potential?

When a wave packet travels through a medium that has a harmonic potential, it will experience a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. This force causes the wave packet to oscillate back and forth around its equilibrium position, similar to a mass on a spring.

4. What are the applications of studying wave packets in harmonic potential?

Studying wave packets in harmonic potential has many applications in physics and engineering, such as understanding the behavior of quantum particles, analyzing vibrations in mechanical systems, and designing electrical circuits.

5. How can we manipulate wave packets in harmonic potential?

One way to manipulate wave packets in harmonic potential is by changing the properties of the medium they are traveling through, such as altering the strength of the harmonic potential or introducing other forces. Another way is by using external fields to manipulate the particles that make up the wave packet, such as applying electric or magnetic fields.