Weak bases react with water to produce strong base?

In summary, weak bases react with water to produce a small amount of a strong base, while the strength of a base decreases as the strength of its conjugate acid increases. However, the statement that weak bases react with water to produce a small amount of a strong base is false. This is because in the presence of excess water, there cannot exist a stronger base than OH-, due to the leveling effect.
KevinFan
Please post this type of questions in the HW section using the template and showing your work.
Which of the following statements about weak acids and weak bases are false?
(i) The strength of a weak acid decreases as itspKa
decreases.
(ii) Weak bases react with water to produce a small amount of a strong base.
(iii) The strength of a base decreases as the strength of its conjugate acid increases.
A)ii, iii
B)i
C)i, ii
D)ii
E)i,iii

The correct answer is B but I don't quite understand the second statement. Is OH- alone considered as a strong base?

Physics news on Phys.org
What definitions of a base do you know?

Borek said:
What definitions of a base do you know?
A base produces oh- in water or it's a proton acceptor or an electron donor

So is OH- a base?

And if so, in the presence of excess water, can there exist a stronger one?

Borek said:
So is OH- a base?

And if so, in the presence of excess water, can there exist a stronger one?

If oh- is a base then in the presence of water, there cannot be a stronger base than oh-... right?

Exactly. It is called a leveling effect (and is not limited to water, it is a general property of solvents - just replace OH- with the basic form of the solvent).

Likes KevinFan
Borek said:
Exactly. It is called a leveling effect (and is not limited to water, it is a general property of solvents - just replace OH- with the basic form of the solvent).
Thank you for your response

1. What is the definition of a weak base?

A weak base is a substance that partially dissociates in water, meaning it only releases a small amount of hydroxide ions (OH-) into the solution.

2. How do weak bases react with water?

Weak bases react with water through a process called hydrolysis, where the weak base accepts a proton (H+) from water to form its conjugate acid and hydroxide ions.

3. What are some examples of weak bases?

Some examples of weak bases include ammonia (NH3), pyridine (C5H5N), and methylamine (CH3NH2).

4. What is the difference between a weak base and a strong base?

A weak base only partially dissociates in water and has a lower concentration of hydroxide ions, while a strong base fully dissociates and has a higher concentration of hydroxide ions.

5. Can weak bases also act as acids?

Yes, some weak bases have the ability to act as both bases and acids depending on the reaction they are involved in.