1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak bases react with water to produce strong base?

1. Dec 13, 2016 #1
    • Please post this type of questions in the HW section using the template and showing your work.
    Which of the following statements about weak acids and weak bases are false?
    (i) The strength of a weak acid decreases as itspKa
    decreases.
    (ii) Weak bases react with water to produce a small amount of a strong base.
    (iii) The strength of a base decreases as the strength of its conjugate acid increases.
    A)ii, iii
    B)i
    C)i, ii
    D)ii
    E)i,iii

The correct answer is B but I don't quite understand the second statement. Is OH- alone considered as a strong base?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What definitions of a base do you know?

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3
    A base produces oh- in water or it's a proton acceptor or an electron donor

5. Dec 14, 2016 #4

Borek

So is OH- a base?

And if so, in the presence of excess water, can there exist a stronger one?

6. Dec 14, 2016 #5
    If oh- is a base then in the presence of water, there cannot be a stronger base than oh-... right???

7. Dec 15, 2016 #6

Borek

Exactly. It is called a leveling effect (and is not limited to water, it is a general property of solvents - just replace OH- with the basic form of the solvent).

8. Dec 15, 2016 #7
    Thank you for your response

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted