Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak measurement with post selection

1. Sep 22, 2014 #1
    I'm reading stuff about weak measurements with post selection and its likely ability to improve computational performance. What I'm curious about is whether weak measurement is a real thing or not. There are many papers showing how to do the measurements and the theory behind them, and then there are the nay-sayers (Lubos amongst them). I am wondering what are the consensus views on this, if there is a consensus?

Thanks for your views.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2014 #2

bhobba

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 23, 2014 #3
    Hi Bill, thanks for your "vote". I've read a number of papers on this and it all seems perfectly reasonable to me, on the other hand I've read many counter claims and they seem pretty reasonable too. This paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/0908.0035v3.pdf by Stephen Parrot was one that made me doubt the certainty of others claims. I am not qualified enough to make this judgment so I though I would appeal to the community for their opinions.

Cheers

5. Sep 23, 2014 #4

bhobba

Staff: Mentor

Had a quick scan of the paper - it didn't seem to doubt they exist - you cant really doubt that because its well defined mathematically - its challenging how you interpret it.

I am not into semantics in physics - the math tells the story - call it what you like - interpret it anyway you like the math is the same.

Its not simply theoretical - its experimentally established eg:
    http://physicsworld.com/cws/article...surements-made-on-optical-polarization-states

Thanks
    Bio

6. Sep 23, 2014 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

7. Sep 24, 2014 #6
  8. Sep 24, 2014 #7
    Thanks, I'll take a look at some of these and get back with questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook