Weak measurement with post selection

In summary, there is a lot of research into weak measurements, but there is still some disagreement about how they work and what they mean.
cosmik debris
I'm reading stuff about weak measurements with post selection and its likely ability to improve computational performance. What I'm curious about is whether weak measurement is a real thing or not. There are many papers showing how to do the measurements and the theory behind them, and then there are the nay-sayers (Lubos amongst them). I am wondering what are the consensus views on this, if there is a consensus?

Thanks for your views.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bill, thanks for your "vote". I've read a number of papers on this and it all seems perfectly reasonable to me, on the other hand I've read many counter claims and they seem pretty reasonable too. This paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/0908.0035v3.pdf by Stephen Parrot was one that made me doubt the certainty of others claims. I am not qualified enough to make this judgment so I though I would appeal to the community for their opinions.

Cheers

Had a quick scan of the paper - it didn't seem to doubt they exist - you can't really doubt that because its well defined mathematically - its challenging how you interpret it.

I am not into semantics in physics - the math tells the story - call it what you like - interpret it anyway you like the math is the same.

Its not simply theoretical - its experimentally established eg:
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article...surements-made-on-optical-polarization-states

Thanks
Bio

Thanks, I'll take a look at some of these and get back with questions.

1. What is weak measurement with post selection?

Weak measurement with post selection is a quantum measurement technique that involves making a weak measurement on a quantum system and then selecting only a specific subset of the measurement results for analysis. This is in contrast to strong measurement, which results in a single definite outcome. Post selection allows for more precise measurements of quantum systems.

2. How is weak measurement with post selection different from other quantum measurement techniques?

Weak measurement with post selection differs from other quantum measurement techniques in that it involves a weak measurement, which has a minimal disturbance on the quantum system being measured, and then post selection, which allows for a more precise analysis of the measurement results. This technique is often used to measure delicate or fragile quantum systems.

3. What are the advantages of using weak measurement with post selection?

There are several advantages to using weak measurement with post selection. One advantage is that it allows for more precise measurements of quantum systems, particularly those that are fragile or difficult to measure with other techniques. Additionally, this technique can provide information about the system's state without collapsing it, allowing for multiple measurements to be taken. Weak measurement with post selection also has applications in quantum computing and cryptography.

4. What are some potential limitations of weak measurement with post selection?

While weak measurement with post selection has many advantages, there are also potential limitations to consider. One limitation is that the post selection process can be time-consuming and complex, making it difficult to implement in some experimental settings. Additionally, there is a trade-off between the precision of the measurement and the disturbance on the system, so careful consideration must be taken when selecting the strength of the measurement.

5. How is weak measurement with post selection used in practical applications?

Weak measurement with post selection has a variety of practical applications in quantum technology. It has been used in quantum state tomography to reconstruct the quantum state of a system, in quantum error correction to detect and correct errors in quantum systems, and in quantum teleportation to transfer quantum information between systems. It also has potential applications in quantum cryptography and quantum sensing.