Weak/strong group identity axiom

In summary, the author argues that the weak version of the identity axiom does not imply the strong version. He claims that this is because the strong version can be proven from the weak version using the associative and closure axioms. He argues that if the weak version did imply the strong version, then the inverse axiom would be ambiguous.
matheinste
Hello all.

While going back to group theory basics to make sure i understand rather than just know the fundamentals i came across for the first time ( having read many books ) the weak versus strong versions of the identity axiom. The strong version says that a group must have a unique identity element. The weak version says that there must be AN identity element for all members of the group. The uniqueness of the strong axiom identity can be proved from the weak version the associative and closure axioms. i understand this. So we only need to require the identity to satisfy the weak axiom as this implies the strong axiom. Fair enough. Then the author ( Alan F Beardon: Algebra and Geometry ) goes on to say that the weak version would make the final axiom, the inverse axiom, ambiguous. I can see that this is so if the weak version of the identity axiom were taken alone. But why is this so, as the author seems to imply, if the weak identity axiom implies the strong axiom.

Seems very basic but i would like to understand.

Thanks. Matheinste.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you post how the inverse axiom is stated in your book? Also, try to think what identity element they're using in that axiom.

Hello Morphism.

In answer to your query the definition used is the standard ( only? ) one. I have yet to learn latex so will have to use words.

If g is in G there is an h in G such that gh=e=hg.

Matheinste

OK, and if e isn't unique, do you see how "gh=e=hg" is ambiguous?

Thanks Morphism.

I do see why the weak identity axiom if it did not when used with the associative axiom and the axiom of closure lead to the strong identity axiom and thus the uniqueness of the inverse would lead to possible ambiguity in the inverse axiom ( we may have more than one e and hence more than one inverse ). But the fact that it ( the weak axiom ) does so surely removes any possible ambiguity.

It really does seem trivial i suppose. That is why i wondered why the authors ( more than one ) mention it. Or, in the often used phrase " am i missing something ".

Matheinste

Matheinste.

1. What is the Weak/Strong Group Identity Axiom?

The Weak/Strong Group Identity Axiom is a concept in social psychology that describes the relationship between an individual's sense of self and their identification with a social group. It suggests that individuals may have a weak or strong attachment to a group, which can influence their behavior and attitudes.

2. How does the Weak/Strong Group Identity Axiom affect behavior?

This axiom suggests that an individual's level of group identity can impact their behavior in various ways. For example, individuals with a strong group identity may conform to group norms and behave in ways that align with their group's values and beliefs. On the other hand, those with a weak group identity may be more likely to act independently and not conform to group expectations.

3. Can group identity change over time?

Yes, an individual's group identity can change over time. Factors such as life experiences, social influences, and personal development can all impact an individual's level of identification with a group. For example, someone may develop a stronger attachment to a group as they spend more time with its members and share similar experiences.

4. How does the Weak/Strong Group Identity Axiom relate to prejudice and discrimination?

The Weak/Strong Group Identity Axiom can play a role in the development and perpetuation of prejudice and discrimination. Individuals with a strong group identity may be more likely to exhibit in-group favoritism and view members of other groups as different or inferior. This can lead to discriminatory behavior towards those outside of their group.

5. Are there any benefits to having a strong group identity?

Yes, there can be benefits to having a strong group identity. For some individuals, a strong attachment to a group can provide a sense of belonging, support, and social identity. It can also foster a sense of pride and motivation to contribute to the success of the group.