1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Webassign even my ta's didn't know what to do ? and im in intro to physics

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    webassign even my ta's didn't know what to do... ???... and im in intro to physics

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 33 ohm resistor is made from a coil of Cu wire whose total mass is 12g. (a)What is the diameter of the wire and (b) how long is it ? ( give you answer in m)

2. Relevant equations
    one equation my ta tried to use was (R) = (resistivity) x (L/A)

3. The attempt at a solution
    no idea... we cant figure out where to go because the equation has both length and radius (in the equation for A of the cross section of the wire) as variables... this is the only question left on my webassign and i have 30 mins left... please help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: webassign even my ta's didn't know what to do... ???... and im in intro to physic

There is a mass in the problem. There's a second equation that says mass=density*volume=density*length*area.

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3
    Re: webassign even my ta's didn't know what to do... ???... and im in intro to physic

Two equations, two unknowns. Solve:

[tex]R=\rho \frac{L}{A}[/tex] and [tex]m=dV=dAL[/tex] where d is density and rho is resistivity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook