Weidner/Sells Elemenary Classical Physics

In summary, the speaker is looking for full solutions to the Weidner/Sells series, published in the 1960's. They used this series as their textbook for freshman physics in 1965-66 and are now interested in solving the problems in it. They are not a student currently and are not trying to cheat on problem sets. They believe the problems in the W/S series are interesting and are looking for someone who has an official solutions manual or legibly written correct solutions. They are willing to put in the effort to read through the solutions to save paper. The W/S series consists of three texts and the speaker has a preference for the mechanics volume but will accept any contributions. They mention a reference and a website where the
ElderlyScienceGuy
I'm looking for full solutions to the Weidner/Sells series, published in the 1960's. I am not a student (in the usual sense) now, but had the W/S series as the text when I took freshman physics in 1965-66.

I doubt that any school is using W/S now (so there's no trying to cheat on problem sets), given the multitude of freshman/soph physics texts now available with full color diagrams. I think the W/S book(s) have some interesting gutsy problems and would like to solve these. These problems might be a subset of the problems in the more recent textbooks, but it's time consuming to search other texts for (almost) identical problems.

I wonder if someone knows someone who knows someone who either has an official SM (if there was one -- I couldn't find out -- publisher was Allyn & Bacon) or has some legibly written correct solutions, written out for a class. In the interest of saving trees, I am willing to avoid simply photocopying the solutions, by reading more of the solutions and writing down fewer. (Though this will require me to hold on to them longer, with the loaner's permission.).

W/S is a three-text set (mechanics, E&M, modern), and I have a slight preference for Volume 1 (mechanics), but will gladly accept any contributions. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is "Weidner/Sells Elementary Classical Physics"?

"Weidner/Sells Elementary Classical Physics" is a textbook used in introductory physics courses at the high school and college level. It covers the fundamental principles of classical mechanics, including topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy, and momentum.

2. Who are the authors of "Weidner/Sells Elementary Classical Physics"?

The authors of "Weidner/Sells Elementary Classical Physics" are David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker. They are renowned physicists and educators who have written several textbooks in the field of physics.

3. Is "Weidner/Sells Elementary Classical Physics" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Weidner/Sells Elementary Classical Physics" can be used for self-study. It is written in a clear and accessible manner, with numerous examples and exercises to help students understand the concepts. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor for a more comprehensive understanding of the material.

4. What makes "Weidner/Sells Elementary Classical Physics" different from other physics textbooks?

"Weidner/Sells Elementary Classical Physics" is known for its emphasis on conceptual understanding and problem-solving skills. It presents the material in a logical and organized manner, with a focus on real-world applications and examples. It also includes interactive features, such as online resources and practice problems, to enhance the learning experience.

5. Is "Weidner/Sells Elementary Classical Physics" suitable for students with no prior knowledge of physics?

Yes, "Weidner/Sells Elementary Classical Physics" is designed for students with little to no prior knowledge of physics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it accessible for beginners. However, a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is recommended for a better understanding of the mathematical concepts in the textbook.