1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird bouyancy/mass/density problem

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    So I'm doing a summer homework assignment for AP Chem and I took normal honors chem last year so I know terminology and things like that, but this question in the summer homework assignment for AP Chem that I've been working on in the review-ish section of the book is not making any sense. I have no idea where to start with this problem. Even though its in a chem book, it seems like a physics question, however, which is why im posting it here. The problem is as follows:

"A student is given a crucible and asked to prove whether it is made of pure platinum. She first weighs the crucible in air and then weighs it suspended in water (density = 0.9986 g/mL). The readings are 860.2 g and 820.2 g, respectively. Based on these measurements and given that the density of platinum is 21.45 g/cm^3, what should her conclusion be? (Hint: An object suspended in a fluid is bouyed up by the mass of the fluid displaced by the object. Neglect the bouyance of air.)"

Sorry if this is a really stupid question to ask and if the solution should be obvious

Anthony

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apply Archimedes' principle. How is the buoyant force related to the volume of the crucible and the density of water?

ehild

4. Jun 15, 2010 #3
    I honestly have no idea :(

5. Jun 16, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook