Were there bombings at London Underground stations and a bus?
- Thread starter Clausius2
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 4K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
jma2001
Gold Member
- 91
- 0
There is something going on, the details are still sketchy.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/21/london.tube/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/21/london.tube/index.html
Nylex
- 552
- 2
4 sort of "mini-explosions" is what they're saying. At one station (Warren Street I think), the people were saying someone left a rucksack and then ran away from the scene. Edit: one person injured, but there weren't any details of what/when/how the injury happened.
Last edited:
Daminc
- 39
- 0
The explosions sound like detonators going of to me so perhaps they messed up the creation process?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
Tube evacuations: At-a-glance
Emergency services have been called to three London Underground stations amid reports of "incidents". The BBC News website is covering events as they unfold (all times in BST):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4703853.stm
Man arrested by armed police near the gates of Downing Street.
Shepherd's Bush, Oval, Hackney Road (bus) affected in addition to Warren street.
see map at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4703777.stm
Emergency services have been called to three London Underground stations amid reports of "incidents". The BBC News website is covering events as they unfold (all times in BST):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4703853.stm
Man arrested by armed police near the gates of Downing Street.
Shepherd's Bush, Oval, Hackney Road (bus) affected in addition to Warren street.
see map at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4703777.stm
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
The only injury so far reported is of one of the bombers who was still carrying the backpack containing whatever it was that went off when it went off. The best guess being presented by the media is that it was detonators that went off, but until they can inspect the packages, they don't know if it was a faulty explosive or only detonators or some sort of homemade device that simply didn't pack much explosive. Since they caught the one person involved, hopefully they will get better answers quickly. They still didn't know if this was meant to be bigger and got botched or if it was a copy cat thing that just was never intended to be as large of scale as the bombings two weeks ago.
hypatia
- 1,192
- 10
What a shame, I'm glad they caught one of them. They should use any means possible to get more information from him.
In the past several months they have installed cameras, just about everywhere in Detroit. I for one am glad they did. Londons system has been such a big help to them.
In the past several months they have installed cameras, just about everywhere in Detroit. I for one am glad they did. Londons system has been such a big help to them.
stoned
- 86
- 0
Daminc said:The explosions sound like detonators going of to me so perhaps they messed up the creation process?
nooo ! those are not bombs, london subway is falling apart - chain reaction.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
- 5,112
- 20
hypatia said:What a shame, I'm glad they caught one of them. They should use any means possible to get more information from him.
In the past several months they have installed cameras, just about everywhere in Detroit. I for one am glad they did. Londons system has been such a big help to them.
I think these were a bunch of trouble makers. I doubt any serious group would be so foolish or have their workers "run away" from the scene.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
- 1,125
- 5
Pengwuino said:I think these were a bunch of trouble makers. I doubt any serious group would be so foolish or have their workers "run away" from the scene.
I'll admit, my first thoughts when I heard the reports were that it could be troublemakers with fireworks or something of the kind, but later news reports suggested that all four were carrying significantly more explosives, but the detonators went off failing to trigger the rest of the explosives. The men were probably not expecting to live through the experience, and panicked when their explosives didn't go off.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
- 1,125
- 5
hypatia said:What a shame, I'm glad they caught one of them. They should use any means possible to get more information from him.
The people arrested were released as they were not involved in the incident.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4705117.stm
hypatia
- 1,192
- 10
Any more word on the man they shot< was he wearing a bomb?
Daminc
- 39
- 0
I haven't heard yet but there is one thing that is significant. One of the things I mentioned in the thread regarding the last bombings is that they've cleared the STK policy for police and special forces.
This is from page 14 of the other thread:
This is from page 14 of the other thread:
This bombing may be the the trigger to reactivate the STK policy and I expect there will be less opposition to it this time. Imagine it, first Britain would be cleared up with people dissappearing left, right and center. Then it would expand through Europe and beyond without a single government having a say about it.
Last edited:
Joel
- 100
- 1
Here's the newest BBC story on the dead guy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706787.stm - Doesn't confirm anything about a bomb, but some eyewithneses said (on BBC world) he was shot five times, which sound pretty much.
hypatia
- 1,192
- 10
Its so rare to hear of UK police shooting someone. I'm sure they did what they felt they must.
Daminc
- 39
- 0
If the suspected terrorist is thought to have an explosive device on his (or a remote control detonator) then they have to make sure that they cannot be activated. I believe this was an important lesson learned during the IRA campaign. Bottom line is shot until the target no longer poses a threat.but some eyewithneses said (on BBC world) he was shot five times, which sound pretty much.
Similar threads
- Art
- · Replies 250 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 250
- noblegas
- · Replies 8 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 8
- Q_Goest
- · Replies 28 ·
- Electrical Engineering
- Replies
- 28