1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What angle is subtended when using this 270-diopter objective?

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An anatomist is viewing heart muscle cells with a microscope that has two selectable objectives with refracting powers of 140 and 270 diopters. When she uses the 140-diopter objective, the image of a cell subtends an angle of 3.7 x 10-3 rad with the eye. What angle is subtended when she uses the 270-diopter objective?

2. Relevant equations
    tan alpha=h/f

3. The attempt at a solution
    h=tan(3.7x10^-3)(140) = 0.518
    tan beta = 0.518/270
    beta = 0.0019185 rad

This is incorrect... I am not sure if I'm even going about this problem the right way. Thanks for any help you can give!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note the small angle involved (3.7 x 10^-3 rad), so the small angle approximation is valid
    θ ≈ sinθ ≈ tanθ​
    The image will simply be magnified in proportion to the power of the objective.

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3
    I don't really understand what this means.. how are you saying I would go about solving this with that in mind?

5. Mar 31, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The image originally subtended an angle of 3.7 x 10^-3 rad.

Using a stronger objective, we expect the image to appear larger.

Since the objective strength has been increased by a ratio of (270/140), the 3.7 x 10^-3 rad angle will get multiplied by that same factor.

6. Mar 31, 2009 #5
    Ohh, I was making it harder than it should be. Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook