Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are some good shortcuts for undergrad-level math and below?

1. Nov 12, 2013 #1
    My professors say that they determine how much time they give to students based on the amount of time it takes them to complete their own test. Suffice to say, lately, I'm never been able to finish on time.

What are some good shortcuts I can use?

I learned about this shortcut: http://www.maa.org/sites/default/files/0746834248847.di020749.02p0056u.pdf and I was wondering if you can share some of your tips. That shortcut method is great. It makes complex partial fractions so much less tedious! I love it. :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2
    Personally, I just try to reduce/simplify whatever the equation is to something I know how to work with. That way I don't have to remember how to solve each type of equation/integral. A schaum's outline is also great to have on hand. Do the problems you know you can do quickly, first. Then go back and try to work through the rest.

Also, I used to use a TI-89 platinum or something calculator. I could type in equations and have it simplify or do indefinite integrals and it would show me the resulting equations. Use it sparingly though, as you do need to at least know how to do things by hand, even if it takes you some time. And you'll likely need to show your work anyways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook