What are some recommended books for beginners in astrophysics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sammour
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Astrophysics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
sammour
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone could recommend a book to start off reading about astrophysics.
I have no previous background on any of the issues regarding the topic. I am a medical student who is interested in reading and getting to know more about the subject for my personal intellectual gain and pleasure.

Thank you in advance,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should first study calculus , linear algebra and classical physics
 
I already do have an idea about these subjects.
I just wish to find a book for beginners as starters, and from that I could try to get into details in these subjects in the future.

I am open for any suggestions!

Thank you,
 
The usual reference is "Fundamental Astronomy" by Kartunnen et al. That being told, my favorite one is "The physical universe" by Frank Shu, I regard it as the closest equivalent in style to the "Feynman lectures" in astronomy books.
 
The physical universe looks pretty good, thank you for you help! I shall be checking it out :).

Thanks!