What are the 6th and 7th states of matter?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ananthan345
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matter States
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 21K views
ananthan345
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
hello friends,

Many of my friends tell me that there are 7 states of matter.Could anyone explain the 6th and 7th for me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
well I believe it depends, ie some conisider a superfluid and a liquid the same state of matter where another person may consider them different states of matter, just like plasmas and gasses
 
ananthan345 said:
hello friends,

Many of my friends tell me that there are 7 states of matter.Could anyone explain the 6th and 7th for me?

I can come up with liquid, solid, gas, plasma and Bose-Einstein Condensate. I wouldn't consider superfluid to be a state of matter, because it is a mixture of a normal liquid and a BEC. There is another state of matter which has been hypothesized, but I don't think has been conclusively demonstrated to exist. It is called Rydberg-matter (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_matter), and consists of a regular array of Rydberg atoms, which are atoms where one of the electrons is in a very highly-excited state, so that the atom can be considered as a loose ion-electron pair.

I have no idea what the seventh state might be.
 
Last edited:
It may depend on how the "state" is defined.
Using the more specific term of "phase", as in phase transitions, there are many more than 7.
A solid can have several crystal phases, with well defined phase transitions.
Some materials have one (ore more) liquid crystal phase (or "state"?) between crystal and liquid. Actually there are many different liquid crystal phases.
 
ananthan345 said:
hello friends,

Many of my friends tell me that there are 7 states of matter.Could anyone explain the 6th and 7th for me?
Maybe you should ask whoever told you that?!
 
I would say they probably mean Superfluids and Quark-Gluon Plasmas.

But as has been pointed out, the exact number depends on how you define a state of matter.

Claude.
 
The 6th matter shouldnot be considered as a electronic configurated pair of a liquid and a BEC making it just like in terms of normal sane beings as super liquid