Fredrik said:
So I think my answer above isn't very appropriate either. I think he's probably asking for the rules of elementary algebra, i.e. the kind of stuff you're allowed to do with variables that represent real numbers. But it looks like the OP has abandoned the thread, so we will probably never know.
Fredrik this is the linear and abstract algebra forum so it's a fair assumption on our part
that the OP is not just looking for the field axioms or just the laws of arithmetic but you're
probably right I doubt we'll find out
Fredrik said:
@sponsoredwalk: Sounds like you're going for the definition of "algebra" from universal algebra, and not getting it right. (Why are you only including a binary operation?)
I can only quote it from memory but on Saturday I was looking in Suppes Introduction to
Logic in the library & he made it absolutely clear that an algebra is a non-empty set A and
a binary operation •. Furthermore he qualifies himself by calling this binary operation a
function and in
this link the author also qualifies himself by pointing out that an algebraic
structure is a structure (the logical concept) that has functions but no relations.
edit:
page 183 also mentions this
Also:
Since the signatures that arise in algebra often contain only function symbols, a signature
with no relation symbols is called an algebraic signature. A structure with such a signature
is also called an algebra; this should not be confused with the notion of an algebra over a
field.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_(mathematical_logic)
So a binary operation is simply one of the many functions that can be used. Perhaps
Suppes explains this later on idk
So I don't think I was wrong just maybe a little restricted in quoting Suppes instead
of the more general idea.
The Ebbinghaus book I quoted in the link in my post also makes it clear that this is all
part of logic and if you read the beginning of
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521168481/?tag=pfamazon01-20 in the preview or
on googlebooks you'll see that things are constructed this way to satiate a formalist & leave
no room for error.
Universal Algebra is a generalization of these logical concepts but in no way is the universal
algebra definition - which is simply a generalization of these concepts - somehow distinct
from the rest of mathematics and it really can't be if these concepts are the very beginning
of the semantics of the syntax of first-order logic. As far as I understand it this is just
what's really going on underneath all of the shortcuts & notational conveniences we employ
but I am not certain & judging by my experiences over the past few months I'll probably be
fed new facts soon contradicting most of this
