What are the Best Books for Self-Teaching Particle Physics and Astrophysics?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter chez_butt23
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
chez_butt23
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
I am in high school and hacve yet to take a formal physics class. However, I am trying to teach myself. What books are a great introduction to particle physics/quantum mechanics or astrophysics. I may not be an expert, but I am a sharp kid and can figure things out. Right now all i have is The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.

On another note, does UC Santa Barbara or UC Davis have a good physics department. I am wondering because I am stuck between either a biology major, (of some sort) or a physics major(of some sort)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should learn standard introductory physics first before you think about particle physics, quantum mechanics, or astrophysics. They all build off of introductory physics.
 
chez_butt23 said:
I am trying to teach myself. What books are a great introduction to particle physics/quantum mechanics or astrophysics. ...
On another note, does UC Santa Barbara or UC Davis have a good physics department. I am wondering because I am stuck between either a biology major, (of some sort) or a physics major(of some sort)
You are right! Do what You love and You don't be in error.
The best books are the books that:
1. You love to read.
2. You can conceive 10% of the book after 10 readings from 1 page to the last page.

You should know that physics is the science and biology is the art (in my mind), but both demand creativity and (excuse ) love.

While absence of cold war, biology has the priority, but who knows modern politics striving nations :(((