What are the best references for neurogenesis?

• Thread starter Q_Goest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    References
In summary: I'll just go with the articles I found.In summary, there is conflicting evidence around the existence of neurogenesis in humans, but it is likely to occur in some form.
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi all... I'm working on a paper and would like to reference an authoritative article that reviews or presents breakthrough data showing neurogenesis occurs in the human brain (not just animals) and perhaps also the relationship between neurogenesis and plasticity. I found a few articles that seem appropriate but would like to hear from any experts who are aware of better and/or more recent research in the area.

1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1664671/
2) https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S089662730800901X
3) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2373759/pdf/nihms45130.pdf

From what little I can grasp of these, it seems like these are in order of most important to least but still all have relevance. I think...

Are any of these particularly good references indicating neurogenesis in humans?
Anything better/newer/more authoritative?

Thanks,
Dave.

Biology news on Phys.org
I am not current on that subject, however, if you have access to a research library, who cold look over different textbooks on Developmental Neurobiology. These should have fairly recent information and references to articles.
Another source of newer information might be articles in the most recent years of the Annual Review books of relevant subjects like Neuroscience, Cell or Developmental Biology.

Likes Q_Goest and BillTre
Thanks for the feedback BillTre, Ygggdrasil. I was under the impression neurogenesis was fairly well established now but it sounds like it might still be contentious. My understanding is that most cells in the body (all but brain neurons?) replace themselves every so often, depending on the organ.

Hi Laroxe, Thanks for that. I'd say that puts an end to my search for a reference.

Likes Laroxe

1. What is neurogenesis?

Neurogenesis is the process by which new neurons are formed in the brain. This process is important for the development and maintenance of the nervous system.

2. Why is neurogenesis important?

Neurogenesis plays a crucial role in brain development, learning, memory, and overall brain health. It is also believed to play a role in improving mood, reducing anxiety and depression, and potentially even slowing down the progression of certain neurological disorders.

3. What are the best references for neurogenesis?

The best references for neurogenesis include peer-reviewed scientific journals, textbooks, and reputable websites such as those from universities or government agencies. Some popular journals in this field include Cell, Nature, and Neuroscience.

4. What factors affect neurogenesis?

There are various factors that can affect neurogenesis, including age, genetics, physical exercise, diet, and environmental factors. Stress, sleep, and certain medications can also impact neurogenesis.

5. Can neurogenesis be increased?

Studies have shown that certain lifestyle factors, such as regular physical exercise, a healthy diet, and good sleep habits, can promote neurogenesis. Additionally, some drugs and supplements have also been found to increase neurogenesis, but more research is needed in this area.