What Are the Big-O Notations for n^(n-1) and (n-1)^n?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter peterlam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Notation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
peterlam
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Hi!

For the following functions, what are their big-O notation?

1. n^(n-1)
2. (n-1)^n

Should their big-O notations be the same as the original functions? i.e.

1. O(n^(n-1)) = n^(n-1)?
2. O((n-1)^n) = (n-1)^n?

Please help!
Many thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at the definition of big-O notation, it is an asymptotic inequality. Roughly speaking, f(x) = O(g(x)) whenever g grows as fast or faster than f.

In this case, g(x) = nn grows faster than both. So it would be both convenient and correct to say that both are O(nn).

Without more context, it is impossible to say whether this is "good enough" for your purposes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thanks! I can understand that O(n^(n-1)) = n^n. But can I say O(n^(n-1)) = n^(n-1)? I am trying to find a tighter asymptotic upper bound.

Similar to the second case.

Thanks!
 
peterlam said:
Thanks! I can understand that O(n^(n-1)) = n^n. But can I say O(n^(n-1)) = n^(n-1)? I am trying to find a tighter asymptotic upper bound.

I have a quibble with the notation you use above. It is correct to say that nn-1 = O(nn). This is not a real equality. It's just a notation. One might loosely read "=O(g)" as "is of order g". It is incorrect to say that O(nn-1) = nn. The latter notation suggests that O() is a function which returns a single function as its value.

I can't think of any upper bounds that are both simpler than nn-1 and tighter than nn.