What are the consequences of melting plastics from ocean garbage patches?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ANarwhal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Melting
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ANarwhal
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
What would happen if I trawled one of the oceans garbage patches (say the great pacific or atlantic garbage patches) and put everything I trawled into a furnace with an inert gas hot enough to melt the majority of plastics I picked up, what would be the outcome?

I am looking to know more about why certain types of plastics may not combine with others into a big mold.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You would be making a big mess which you wouldn't be able to recycle.
 
Hard to say. Most likely yes, but not a homogeneous one. As SteamKing wrote, all you will get would be something messy.