What Are the Correct Components of a 20km Displacement at N30°E?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bobby_burke
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Components Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bobby_burke
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
A boat sails in a straight line 20km [N30°E]. What are the components of its displacement to the north and east?

the answers given are 17 km [N] and 10 km [E], but using the formulae
Ay = A Sin σ and Ax = A Cos σ, I've got the values mixed up... could it be because I've drawn it wrong? I've got it drawn as 30° North of East... Does N30°E mean 30° east of north?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hey Bobby,

yes, it does mean 30 degrees east of north. therefore your sigma value is 60 deg instead of 30.
that should fix you :smile:

Beau