What are the dangers and ways to control danger of chromate

• Thread starter 24forChromium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary: Finally, if you are really paranoid you could try to oxidize the chromate (CrO42-) to Cr(III) which will also convert it into a less toxic compound.
24forChromium
In what ways would a dissolved anion of chromate/dichromate such as in potassium dichromate, be dangerous? I know it's a strong oxidizer and a carcinogen (causes cancer), I would like to know what kind of contact will cause these to take effect and to what extent (i.e. contact with solution liquid on bare skin versus inhaling of solution vapour)

Beside these, is there a safe way to load a very dilute solution of chromate in a cuvette for the use of a photospectrometer? What do I have to be careful about? Any suggested protection?
In addition, what will be the effect of combining the solution with dilute inorganic acid or base?

I tried to look for an official website with regulated evaluation of chromate's toxicity, but I can't find anything practical or answer the above questions.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Standard lab coat, glasses and gloves are perfectly enough, chromate is not particularly nasty.

What about the fumes? Would the fume be a problem?

No fumes as long as you don't boil the solution (and even then ionic substances in general are not volatile and the vapor is mostly pure water). Whenever you have to work with concentrated, hot solutions the risk of fumes is higher, but even then just a good fume hood will work in most cases, and it will definitely work for chromates.

Likes 24forChromium
Borek said:
No fumes as long as you don't boil the solution (and even then ionic substances in general are not volatile and the vapor is mostly pure water). Whenever you have to work with concentrated, hot solutions the risk of fumes is higher, but even then just a good fume hood will work in most cases, and it will definitely work for chromates.
Thanks a lot, one last thing, is there any way to make chromate or dichromate harmless via chemical reaction?

24forChromium said:
Thanks a lot, one last thing, is there any way to make chromate or dichromate harmless via chemical reaction?

In every similar case (toxic heavy metal) only dissolved ionic forms pose a risk, so if you convert it into some insoluble compound you are much safer (barium salts are toxic, yet because of its low solubility BaSO4 is safe and routinely used as radiocontrast in X-ray imaging). In the case of Cr(VI) you can also reduce it to Cr(III) or Cr(II) which are generally considered safe (not that I would eat them).

1. What is chromate and why is it dangerous?

Chromate is a chemical compound that is commonly used in industrial processes and products. It is dangerous because it is a known carcinogen and can cause serious health issues if ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin.

2. How does chromate exposure occur?

Chromate exposure can occur through inhalation of dust or fumes, ingestion of contaminated food or water, and skin contact with products containing chromate.

3. What are the health effects of chromate exposure?

Chromate exposure has been linked to respiratory issues, skin irritation, eye damage, and an increased risk of certain types of cancer.

4. What are some ways to control the danger of chromate?

To control the danger of chromate, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when handling the chemical, use personal protective equipment, and properly ventilate work areas where chromate is present. Additionally, limiting exposure and finding safer alternatives to chromate can help reduce the risk of harm.

5. What should I do if I suspect chromate exposure?

If you suspect you have been exposed to chromate, seek medical attention immediately. It is also important to inform your employer and follow any necessary decontamination procedures to prevent further exposure.