Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the differences between laplace & fourier transform

1. May 23, 2006 #1
    What are the differences?
    I mean when we will make a decision "hmm now i must use laplace transform or now i must use fourier transform".

What are the absences in laplace transform so fourier design a new transfom?

I want to know these transforms' main idea, differences.

I am looking for your answers.

Thanks .
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2006 #2
    in applications you usually use Laplace transforms when you have initial conditions for a p.d.e. and u start at t=0. Thats because when you Laplace transform derivatives you get the initial conditions into the p.d.e.

Often you Fourier-Laplace transforms differential equations too. If you have a p.d.e. for u(r,t) you can Fourier transform the position and Laplace transform the time. Then you get an easier equation for
    u(k,z), where k is the wave-vector. This is very useful when you want to derive the Greenfunction for a particular problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?