1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the esters formed from fumaric acid and propanol ?

1. Nov 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    what are the esters formed by:
    -fumaricacid and propanol?
    - succinic acid and butanol
    -citric acid and methanol
    and how does each one smell

2. Relevant equations
    none
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have drawn out each of the structural diagrams but i couldnt draw the esters. My attemp at naming them are propyl fumarate ,butyl succinate, and methyl citrate. I am guessing they have a fruity smell.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This is a bit tricky. Names you listed so far are not off, but from the way problem is worded it is not clear whether the esterification stops after one carboxyl group reacted - and all three acids have more than one carboxyl acid group.

4. Nov 23, 2015 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The odours are possibly of some interest, worthy to be aware of. You can easily find articles and lists via Google e.g. here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ester - there is a big culture and for that matter commerce around odours of esters.
    To experience if possible. But to have to have to conscentiously learn them from a book! :rolleyes:

When a chemical substance is said to have a given odour it might be due to a minor contaminant, but all these esters are easily purified and it's OK.

5. Nov 23, 2015 #4
    the answers were difumaric acid, disuccini acid and trimethyl citrate. Thanks for your help everyone !

6. Nov 23, 2015 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And how it is an ester?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted