What are the general education requirements for first year college students?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
zk4586
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
Alright, so, let's say I decide to major in philosophy and possibly double major, or at least minor, in some social science (psychology, anthropology, ect.), what would I be required to take my first year? Not classes that have to do with my major, just other classes. Are there certain classes I have to take, or does it depend on the school?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the school.
and I recommend Anthropology, heheheh (my major).
Which schools are you looking at?
 
My list is pretty varied. Johns Hopkins, UVA, Georgetown, U. of Penn., NYU, and Tufts University. Though, I did notice this at NYU:

Students considering a major in philosophy are advised to skip over the nonmajor introductory courses, and to begin with one of the intensive introductory courses

That's a plus.
 
I know that NYU has a terrific anthro program if you were seriously considering the double major.
 
Everybody has to take 2 semesters of English Composition (gah). At UCF, I had/have to take Speech, a choice of history classes, a choice of science classes, a choice of philosophy, religion, art, or theater, and some other stuff. My major is Computer Science.

Of course, you don't have to take all the gen ed classes your first year.
 
...unless of course you go to NYU, as I quoted from their philosophy website above.
 
As you know, Dangerous Dan Dennett is at Tufts. That's reason enough to go there.
 
Absolutely. That would be my one big reason and it's really tempting the more I think about.
 
Who is Dangerous Dan and why does he have such a similar name to mine?
 
Originally posted by Dissident Dan
Who is Dangerous Dan and why does he have such a similar name to mine?

{chuckles}...hahaha...HEH HEH HEH...lol...LOL! LMFAO!

Just look at my avatar and do a search for Daniel Dennett on yahoo or google or even Amazon.com for that matter. I'm going to go back to laughing now.