Suggestions for a first year college student

In summary, a first year engineering student named Mitchell is interested in nuclear engineering and is seeking advice on the career field. He has credits from high school and needs to decide on a course path by the end of the year. Mitchell is interested in hands-on work and is considering getting a B.S.E. in Nuclear Engineering with minors in Electrical Engineering and Mathematics. He also has an interest in business and is looking for ways to combine it with his career in nuclear engineering. Mitchell seeks advice and resources, including the Department of Labor Statistics website, for more information on job opportunities and specialized types within the nuclear engineering field.
MLD Woody
First of all I am new to these forums and I thought I would introduce my self. My name is Mitchell and I am a first year engineering student at the University of Michigan. Now I've always been interested in Nuclear Engineering. My dad really got my started and it just seems a lot more interesting than a lot of other forms of engineering. Now I am not 100% sold on it and am looking to learn more about it. The thing is I've got a lot of credit coming in from High School already so I basically need to "declare" by the end of the year, or at least decide on a course path to take. My only concerns is there is so much out there and I really don't want to take a class that ends up being a waste of my time, because I plan on graduating early. So I have a few basic questions.

From reports I've been reading and what I would just think is common sense I would think the Nuclear Power industry should be reemerging pretty soon. I'm hoping this will increase the demand for nuclear engineers. What are some jobs a nuclear engineer could get in the power production industry. I don't really want to be behind a desk all day, I'd like some more hands on stuff if possible.

Also is this a career field where a Masters is pretty much needed for entry, or would a B.S.E. suffice? I am looking right now at getting a B.S.E. in Nuclear Engineering and a minor in Electrical Engineering and a minor in Mathematics, because a lot of courses overlap.

I also have a thing for business, but not enough to make it my sole career (I need math and science). Are there ways for a Nuclear Engineer to enter into the more business side of things but still retain the science side?

Thanks for any advice,

Physics news on Phys.org
There is some really good statistical information for this (and all jobs) on the dept of labor statistics website.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

There is usually a listing of the more specialized types (ME, EE, NE, CE, etc) but I can't seem to find it for Nuclear. The page typically has other jobs that are available, etc. Maybe you can find it.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are some tips for managing time effectively as a first year college student?

Effective time management is crucial for success in college. Some tips include creating a schedule or to-do list, prioritizing tasks, avoiding procrastination, and seeking help when needed.

How can a first year college student balance academics and social life?

Finding a balance between academics and social life can be challenging. It's important to prioritize academics and set aside dedicated study time, but also make time for social activities and self-care. Joining clubs or organizations can also help manage both aspects of college life.

What are some common mistakes to avoid as a first year college student?

Some common mistakes to avoid include falling behind on coursework, not seeking help when needed, not taking advantage of resources on campus, and not getting involved in extracurricular activities. It's also important to maintain a healthy balance and not overwork yourself.

How can a first year college student build a strong support system?

Building a strong support system is essential for navigating the challenges of college. This can include forming connections with classmates, joining study groups, seeking support from professors or academic advisors, and staying in touch with family and friends.

What are some ways to stay organized and stay on top of assignments as a first year college student?

Staying organized can help reduce stress and improve academic performance. Some ways to stay organized include using a planner or calendar, setting reminders for important dates and deadlines, keeping a tidy study space, and breaking down large assignments into smaller tasks.