What Are the Job Prospects for Physics Graduates?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
Sean1218
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
I've decided against pursuing a career as a university professor after seeing how low the odds of actually making it are.

If I were to still study physics (undergrad at least, I will do a master's and/or PhD if necessary), how are the job prospects (chance of getting a job, job security, salary) for industry and government jobs? I'm mainly thinking about jobs that are at least somewhat related to physics & science.

Thanks for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not as dismal as you may think. I don't know who posted it, but I am sure its easy to find...it was a chart of 2007(I think) physics B.S. graduates and where they were a year later. Of the ones who went for jobs, it said(I think) that 90% of them had a job. Again, don't quote me on that but it didn't look bad at all.

Check this site out.

http://www.physicstoday.org/jobs/