What Are the Possible Sums of Prime Number Pairs?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Loren Booda
Messages
3,115
Reaction score
4
List all of the possible sums of prime number pairs with each element taken once.

For instance: 2+3=5, 2+5=7, 3+5=8, 2+7=9, 3+7=10, 5+7=12, 5+11=16, 5+13=18 . . .

Can you find significance in this progression? Have you seen this sequence before?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That "sequence" will likely consist of every even number that is not of the form 2p as well as every odd number of the form p+2 (p is a prime number). Are you familiar with the Goldbach and Levy conjectures?

If you have a more specific question than the somewhat open-ended question in the OP, please get straight to the specific question.
 
I'm sorry, I thought I had found a more fundamental pattern.