What Are the Shared Features of Vertebrate Central Nervous Systems?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Picture
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
12,705
This is a nice picture of an early Xenopus larvae (from here).
freezeframe_1.jpg


Larvae are from after embryogenesis and hatching, but before they transform (metamorphose) into their adult form (in this case a frog).
It is fluorescently labeled:
red: muscle
green: neural tissue
blue: background tissue (maybe DNA)​

Here is a key I made for this image:
tedpole embryo3.png

Opps, the diencephalon (thalamus) label (between forebrain and eyeball muscles) got left off!

This picture of the Central Nervous System (CNS) of a xenopus tadpole is a good example of the features shared by all vertebrate CNS's from lampreys to humans, the labeled features are found in early development. Changes in events later in development, elaborate upon the basic plan in someway to provide a neural basis for some new function. In this case, only a part of the little forebrain in the Xenopus, becomes the cortex in humans (which is larger than any other part).

As a side issue:
I could now easily produce overlays directly over the image (which would be more visually direct), but I think that would be a copyright infringement (modifying an image?).
Any thoughts on that? I don't know if I am current in my understanding.

I like annotating images like this because it seems like it is informative and
because its a celebration of the beauty of (possibly) hidden subtleties of nature that a not fully informed person might not understand.
 
Attachments
  • freezeframe_1.jpg
    freezeframe_1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 781
  • tedpole embryo3.png
    tedpole embryo3.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 792
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara
Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, taking someone else's photo/graphic and annotating could be a copyright issue. I will check. PS: this is very important on the PF forums
 
jim mcnamara said:
@BillTre - I think we are okay. :smile:
I am hoping I am successfully working around the edges of the rules.