What are the Styrofoam rods for in the MIG air intake?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,458
Reaction score
3,266
I went to the Combat Air Museum in Topeka, Kansas a couple days ago and thought I'd post a few photos:
Inside of turban
small-carol-6.jpg

An old "Air Force One"
small-carol-16.jpg

Inside of hanger 1 of 2
small-carol-19.jpg

Me
small-carol-23.jpg

small-carol-27.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Oldman too, Klystron and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, there is a similar Air Museum in Sacramento that I've been to a coulple of times. Once was for an event where General Chuck Yeagar was giving a talk -- very cool. :smile:
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, hutchphd and dlgoff
berkeman said:
Once was for an event where General Chuck Yeagar
That would have been a treat. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd and berkeman
The National Air and Space Museum at Dulles is worth a visit. I liked the SR-71 and rocket exhibits. Also, the Concorde was smaller than I expected.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, BillTre, berkeman and 1 other person
caz said:
I liked the SR-71 and rocket exhibits.
Those would probably be my favorites.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frabjous
I grew up 19 miles from Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio built at Huffman prairie (Wright Brothers enthusiasts will recognize the location) and home of the U S Air Force Museum. A very impressively large collection of aircraft, missiles (although their Atlas missile sprang an air leak and deflated/crumpled :frown:), and technology. It is my favorite aero museum (although I have not seen the Udvar-Hazy wing of the Smithsonian out by Dulles airport). I remember a very weird visit to the USAFM over Christmas college break listening to MuzaK carols while contemplating the B-36 underside with the Mark 17 thermonuclear weapons at the bay.
Not to be missed.
https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff and russ_watters
hutchphd said:
I remember a very weird visit to the USAFM over Christmas college break listening to MuzaK carols while contemplating the B-36 underside with the Mark 17 thermonuclear weapons at the bay.
Yeah, that's a very weird juxtaposition.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
Here are a few more photos:
small carol-1.jpg

small carol-2.jpg

small carol-3.jpg

small carol-4.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
berkeman said:
What's that stuff filling up the air intake of MIG? (I think it's a MIG)
They are just styrofoam rods. I'm guessing to keep the opening well opened.