What are these +2's and +3's used for in solving first-degree equations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tregg Smith
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degree
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Tregg Smith
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
I'm brushing up on algebra. In the second line what are these +2's for ? I couldn't get all the columns to line up. BTW does anybody know any software for writing down math problems that solves this alignment problem?

Solving first-degree equations

3x-2=16
+2 +2 what are these +2's ?
3x=18

3x = 18
3 3

x=6

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Tregg Smith said:
I'm brushing up on algebra. In the second line what are these +2's for ? I couldn't get all the columns to line up. BTW does anybody know any software for writing down math problems that solves this alignment problem?

Solving first-degree equations

3x-2=16
+2 +2 what are these +2's ?
3x=18

3x = 18
3 3

x=6
The 2's are shown to indicate that 2 is being added to both sides of the equation. Similarly, the 3's indicate that each side is being divided by 3.

Starting from any equation, if you add the same quantity to both sides of the equation, you get a new equation with the same solution set. Also, if you multiply or divide both sides of an equation (you can't divide by zero, though), the new equation has the same solution set as the previous equation.