What Are Trophy Points and How Do They Work?

• Thread starter kered rettop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Feedback
kered rettop
Sorry, but what on Earth are trophy points for? I can see that they get awarded for meritorious behaviour - like joining PF in the first place - but when you've got them, what can you do with them? Or are they like any other trophy that you put on a shelf to gather dust? I just got one for posting 100 times, which I take to be something of a warning that I've become addicted. I don't see anywhere that I can redeem it.

Seriously, do they do anything?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, they have the same role as the number of positive reactions your posts get. A mere way to show your involvement in this >20 years active online community. As for addiction, I call tiktok, instagram and facebook far more addictive.

Likes kered rettop
They determine whether you're a PF Quark/Mountain/whatever. Otherwise you can try to use 'em to impress the ladies (or gents).

I think they're supposed to be implemented as a third dimension of participation, beyond post count and likes. It's not independent here, though.

Likes kered rettop
Ibix said:
Otherwise you can try to use 'em to impress the ladies (or gents).
I tried that. Just got a blank stare.

Thanks for the answer.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes berkeman, Borg, BillTre and 1 other person
dextercioby said:
Actually, they have the same role as the number of positive reactions your posts get. A mere way to show your involvement in this >20 years active online community. As for addiction, I call tiktok, instagram and facebook far more addictive.
OK, thanks.

kered rettop said:
Just check on how well you are doing, a status thing and a bit of fun.
The ladies SHOULD be impressed.

Likes BillTre and kered rettop
pinball1970 said:
Just check on how well you are doing, a status thing and a bit of fun.
The ladies SHOULD be impressed.
Have you ever actually MET a lady? :wink:

• Haha
Likes DaveE and BillTre
kered rettop said:
Have you ever actually MET a lady? :wink:
They should be, just not the ones I've met.

Likes BillTre and kered rettop
kered rettop said:
Yeah, you get paid cash for them by PF. Maybe you haven't earned the "End of the Rainbow" trophy yet -- I think that's when they start converting into cash.

(Well, Bitcoin actually.)

• Wow
Likes BillTre and Vanadium 50
berkeman said:
Yeah, you get paid cash for them by PF. Maybe you haven't earned the "End of the Rainbow" trophy yet -- I think that's when they start converting into cash.

(Well, Bitcoin actually.)
Seriously? As they love to say round here, "Reference?" - meaning I'm looking for the details right now but if you have a link it would save a deal of searching. Cheers.

kered rettop said:
Seriously?
No. Sorry.

• Haha
  • Sad
  • Wow
Likes BillTre, Vanadium 50, kered rettop and 1 other person
Nugatory said:
No. Sorry.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970 and Tom.G
Ibix said:
Be very careful with those folks that directly tell or otherwise signal you that they are impressed.
kered rettop said:
I just got one for posting 100 times, which I take to be something of a warning that I've become addicted.
In fact, my direct reaction to that admiring remark about my "solid" rating on stackexchange was that I had been addicted, and that I am glad it was over. I explained how that gamification had drewn me into it. Not sure whether I also explained how PF helped me to get out of it. Not even sure whether its true, or whether my main addiction was already over when I started enjoying PF. Well, I guess it is true.

• Skeptical
Likes kered rettop
kered rettop said:
You could print them out, wrap it around a brick and use it as a doorstop. :oldwink:

Likes phinds
kered rettop said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :biggrin:
I have 2487 posts and 3351 likes, that gives me 1.34 like : post ratio
some of that is related to trophy points, I have 257 and have been stuck on a mountain for a while.
I am 53rd on the likes leader board but to be honest I hardly take any notice of all that.

Posts in the lounge (including "General Discussion" and the feedback forum we are in) don't increase the counter, but likes received there do, so the ratio doesn't mean much. We have people with hundreds of likes and under 100 counting posts.

Likes dextercioby
That's why I post in the General Discussion, to get the likes. My post count was done 80% of it betweeen 2004 and 2006.

Ibix said:

kered rettop said:
I tried that. Just got a blank stare.
See, it's working already!

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes kered rettop, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
mfb said:
Posts in the lounge (including "General Discussion" and the feedback forum we are in) don't increase the counter, but likes received there do, so the ratio doesn't mean much. We have people with hundreds of likes and under 100 counting posts.
So all those tasty tit bits I have posted in T.I.L. are not counted?

I tend to post there on subjects I am interested in and think other pfers may have expertise in.

pinball1970 said:
So all those tasty tit bits I have posted in T.I.L. are not counted?
Nope. And don't even get me started about my posts in the Mentor forums not counting either! I probably have at least as many there as in the open forums. :smile:

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
tit bits
Excuse me?

Vanadium 50 said:
Excuse me?
Must be British slang. I've learned not to ask...

• Haha
Likes BillTre and pinball1970
berkeman said:
Nope. And don't even get me started about my posts in the Mentor forums not counting either! I probably have at least as many there as in the open forums. :smile:
Fair enough but I do try and make an effort there rather than starting lots of new threads.

Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
Do I get points if V50 quotes me? Must be worth something.

• Haha
Likes Borg, dextercioby, Bystander and 2 others
berkeman said:

It is. And it's equivalent to the American "tidbits", which, according to
https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2020/03/tidbit-titbit.html
is nearer to the original "tyd bits"...

Oh help! What am I doing frittering away my time Googling words like titbits? How long did it take you to learn not to ask?

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and berkeman
1706147458608.png

Likes Borg