What are you doing during quarantine?

• Thread starter hagopbul
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello :

this is the second day in self quarantine , the city is rather calm , and i start reading , what about you ? we declared medical emergency , a lot of people are staying at home

the second day is rather not usual a lot of shops are close

did some laundry , then waste some time on social media

what about you ?

best
hagop

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This is reminiscent of “where were you when the lights went out, or when the blizzard of ‘78 hit, or on the day of 9-11”. I’m working from home with rather poor productivity.
This crisis is very bad for the economy, and for those infected or who will be infected by this monster.

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Visited doctor twice. Once for myself, once for wife. Both unrelated to any COVID-19 symptomology.

Telecommuted. Did some work upgrading company VPN infrastructure from home (making sure the traffic routes efficiently over our available circuits). Tried to stay ahead of e-mail. Failed. I really need to hook a bigger monitor up to my laptop. [Got one sitting right here on my gaming PC]

Stuck a load in washer this morning. Wife is chatting up folks, paying bills, scheduling appointments, unloading dishwasher, loading same. Except for doctor visits, we have not left the house.

This crisis is very bad for the economy
yes it is bad for this economy but we can over come this

working from home ? any advice

best
hagop

I really need to hook a bigger monitor up to my laptop.
how about using a projector ?

jbriggs444
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
how about using a projector ?
Hard to do without having a projector. I certainly would not want to buy one on my own dime. Nor do I see much point putting a 10 foot image on a wall 10 feet away instead of putting a 29 inch image on a screen 2 feet away.

I have a hunch that many will do this:
379863_wc_papir_zseton.jpg

Well, aside from joking around randomly I have ~ half year worth of books I got at some point but had no time to read them: the garden needs to be tended, and plenty of repair work on the house itself. And the hills are in the backyard, so some hiking is unavoidable I think...

Last edited:
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello :

this is the second day in self quarantine , the city is rather calm , and i start reading , what about you ? we declared medical emergency , a lot of people are staying at home

the second day is rather not usual a lot of shops are close

did some laundry , then waste some time on social media

what about you ?

best
hagop
Where are you from?

Where are you from?
from syria living in lebanon

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a hunch that many will do this:
241982-e6e89f9a752ba20cefbc890168eb784e.jpg
He's in trouble if the other guy has a Royal Flush. :oldtongue:

I've been listening to music, watching comedy, being on PhysicsForums, resting, cuddling with my cat.

O didn't believe in covid-19 effect even thought it is happening in other place and will not reach me , now the street is empty and with every day passing it is becoming more empty , trying to read just sitting in front of the laptop but couldn't open it to read , yesterday a family friend passed away for natural reasons .

Trying to not to go on a walk as I love walking , we have a beach about 6 km away from my home , resisting that now

I had to apply for a scholarship also even if the chances of getting it some how small

Could we spend more than one week like this ?

Trying to not to go on a walk as I love walking , we have a beach about 6 km away from my home , resisting that now
Is it forbidden?
If you don't meet others and don't touch anything (used by others) during that walk it is just as safe as staying at home.

Is it forbidden?
If you don't meet others and don't touch anything (used by others) during that walk it is just as safe as staying at home.
No it is not forbidden but if I go on a walk that will take hours to come back home

What about you ?

What about you ?
We don't have lockdown yet, so it's just planning and preparation. The hills starting in the backyard (almost literally), so we definitely plan to sneak out for some hiking.

Ps.: just to be clear - things will depend on the actual rules. If it will be 'stay behind the door' then we are done :oldcry:

Last edited:
russ_watters
Mentor
It's still business as usual for me. My company is on a voluntary work from mode, but if you work from home you're expected to work. I'll be in the office the next few days, but always re-evaluating. I'd guess we had about a 2/3 full office today.

berkeman
Mentor
My wife and I are both able to work from home with the local Santa Clara County Shelter-in-Place order. She may transition to doing it full time (she was on the list at her work for transitioning to work from home), but I need to get back in the lab as soon as this is over.

On the upside, my noon workouts are going to be a lot more reliable during this period -- lately trying to escape from work for a noon run/swim has been very difficult. But doing a noon MTB workout every other day while working at home seems to work pretty well. :smile:

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My wife and I are also working from home although my boss keeps defaulting to thinking that I need to come in for every little problem (I don't).

Taking care of my garden. I've got nothing else to do.

epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This is happening in the US? It hasn't been much mentioned in Europe.
I have 3 advantages. 1 - am retired. 2 My flat has a 25 m terrace so not such cooped in feeling and I can go for walks without leaving the house. Mind you 500 m is 20X back and forth which starts to get a bit boring, but decisive is 3 last year had a severe lung infection that took a lot of getting over. Nothing like what this virus can give you in the worst cases, but inkling of what it would feel like and no temptation to take any risks, so if you are in the high risk age group, it could help maintain the precautions by trying to imagine the self-helplessness.

russ_watters
Mentor
This is happening in the US? It hasn't been much mentioned in Europe.
Depends on what you mean by "this". There is one city I'm aware of with a mandatory quarantine - a "lockdown"; San Francisco. The rest of the country has various levels of recommended self-isolation (wow, you should have seen that autocorrect...), or "social distancing". Many businesses and government functions are requesting or requiring people to work from home, some are closing down.

we had some visitors today , trying to make the idea of covid-19 testing outside my head after all this is not a physics domain what ever i am thinking must be thought out by some one in virology or some thing like that , reached page 90 from that book yesterday going to reach page 110 0r 130 today reading is a challenging task for me this days

trying to think how on earth it reached 150 countries around the world

the streets are semi - empty alot are at home no official lock down just the restaurants and the borders

by the way the toilet papers are out from my home and all i had to do is to go to local supermarket to by new one , we have plenty any one need some i can send them with DHL /UPS /aramex / fedex

or normal postal service , it wont be a problem

Working full time in a general practice clinic, predominantly non-corona related stuff within the clinic and corona stuff at a distance together with the public health service and/or hospital if necessary. Stopped doing home consultations to the chronically ill and elderly since this week. Also, have way less time for research and teaching unfortunately, at least until I'm inevitably forced to self-quarantine.

etotheipi
Gold Member
2019 Award
Well it seems that A Levels in May/June have been cancelled (or at least postponed...), so this is going to turn out to be one awfully long study leave!

I might get into basket weaving...