What benefits can reading and writing provide for a future career in physics?

• Thread starter Jahee
  • Start date
In summary, reading and writing can develop critical thinking, analytical skills, and effective communication abilities, which are crucial for success in the field of physics. They can also help break down complex concepts and stay updated with advancements in the field, as well as improve research skills and overall communication abilities for non-scientific aspects of a career in physics.
Jahee
I'm not really sure what to include but I'm a physics major but I also have an interest in reading and writing. I came to this forum because I thought it would be great for both. Future knowledge that I would probably need for my career in physics as well as accurate details for stories I may write before I get there. Well that's me. Hope you'll treat me well.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!
Nice quote. Hey, I have a question that would help my story if you don't mind answering.

I was wondering that if there was a theory that didn't have a mathematical formula yet but had experimental data how would a scientist go about publishing it?

If you can't or don't want to answer can you just let me know how I should ask this in PF.

Jahee said:
Nice quote. Hey, I have a question that would help my story if you don't mind answering.

I was wondering that if there was a theory that didn't have a mathematical formula yet but had experimental data how would a scientist go about publishing it?

If you can't or don't want to answer can you just let me know how I should ask this in PF.
Introduction threads are not for asking questions, so you'll need to post this question in the appropriate forum.

That said, if you are asking about what journal to post new findings in, the researcher would already be familiar with all of the appropriate journals because they would be reading them closely to stay up with the current developments.

Are you writing a SciFi story? If so, then you can post this question in the SciFi forum.

Are you wanting to publish a new theory or experimental result? If so, we have some Insights articles that apply. Do a search under Insights Blog at the top of the page to find those Insights articles. I'll post a couple of such links in a minute or two...

Likes jedishrfu
berkeman said:
Are you wanting to publish a new theory or experimental result? If so, we have some Insights articles that apply. Do a search under Insights Blog at the top of the page to find those Insights articles. I'll post a couple of such links in a minute or two...
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/guide-publishing-peer-reviewed-journals/

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/publishing-in-a-physics-journal/

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/publishing-in-a-physics-journal-addendum/

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/wont-look-new-theory/

berkeman said:
Introduction threads are not for asking questions, so you'll need to post this question in the appropriate forum.

That said, if you are asking about what journal to post new findings in, the researcher would already be familiar with all of the appropriate journals because they would be reading them closely to stay up with the current developments.

Are you writing a SciFi story? If so, then you can post this question in the SciFi forum.

I posted in the general discussion forum. But I can delete and move it to the SciFi one if that is frowned upon. Thank you for giving me some insight on where I could ask questions.

Realized I couldn't delete. But I figure that someone will if it's a problem. I'll try to make sure to post in the proper location from now on.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
I deleted your thread start in the GD forum for you. In the future, you can click on the Report link in your post to ask the Mentors to move your thread. Looks like it's in the right place now. Good luck! :smile:

Related to What benefits can reading and writing provide for a future career in physics?

1. What specific skills can reading and writing develop for a career in physics?

Reading and writing can develop critical thinking skills, analytical skills, and the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely. These skills are essential for success in the field of physics, as they allow for effective problem-solving and communication of research findings.

2. How can reading and writing improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

Reading and writing can help break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces. By reading and writing about these concepts, you can better understand them and how they relate to one another, leading to a deeper understanding of physics as a whole.

3. Can reading and writing help me stay updated with advancements in the field of physics?

Yes, reading and writing can help you stay updated with the latest advancements in physics. By reading scientific journals and writing about new research findings, you can stay informed about the current state of the field and contribute to the scientific community.

4. How can reading and writing benefit my ability to conduct research in physics?

Reading and writing can improve your research skills by helping you develop a strong foundation in scientific literature and the ability to critically evaluate and analyze research findings. Additionally, writing skills are crucial for effectively communicating your own research findings to others in the scientific community.

5. Can reading and writing help me in non-scientific aspects of a career in physics?

Absolutely. Reading and writing can improve your overall communication skills, which are essential for success in any career. In addition, the critical thinking and analytical skills developed through reading and writing can be applied to various tasks and challenges in a career in physics.