What book can you recommend on studying

In summary, there are multiple books that cover the various concepts of mechanics, physics, mathematics, and engineering in rocket science. Some recommended titles include "Mechanics of Fluids" by Bernard Massey for fluid mechanics, "Engineering Mathematics" by K.A. Stroud for mathematics, and "Materials Science" by Callister for materials science. It is possible to study these topics on your own, but it may require additional effort and revisiting after completing courses in linear algebra and calculus. It is best to consult with an academic advisor for a recommended course guideline.
sarah22
What book can you recommend on studying...

mechanics (fluid mechanics, structural mechanics, orbital mechanics), flight dynamics, physics, mathematics, control engineering, materials science, aeroelasticity, avionics, reliability engineering, noise control and flight test)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_science

I'm a computer science student but I really love math and physics. I want to study these concepts so I can implement it on my graphics engine which can simulate the real world. Can you recommend me a book, so I can study on my own on how do these thing works.

Engineering news on Phys.org

sarah22 said:
mechanics (fluid mechanics, structural mechanics, orbital mechanics), flight dynamics, physics, mathematics, control engineering, materials science, aeroelasticity, avionics, reliability engineering, noise control and flight test)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_science

I'm a computer science student but I really love math and physics. I want to study these concepts so I can implement it on my graphics engine which can simulate the real world. Can you recommend me a book, so I can study on my own on how do these thing works.

There is a book for almost everyone of those subjects! LOL!

CS

That's why I'm asking what book would you recommend and not is there any book about those? :P

sarah22 said:
That's why I'm asking what book would you recommend and not is there any book about those? :P

My point is that there is not one single book that would cover all of those concepts. You will need multiple books.

CS

It depends on how you like to read and your level of knowledge.

Fluid Mechanics: Mechanics of Fluids - Bernard Massey

Probably the only book you need on fluid mechanics if you are only buying one, its very thorough but can be a bit dry. If you are the kind of person who needs diagrams to help understanding avoid as your first book.
Mathematics: Engineering Mathematics - K.A.Stroud.

A GOD AMONGST BOOKS! I cannot stress just how good this book is. It had in no doubt saved many many engineering students lives including mine.
Materials: Materials Science - Callister

Not used this book in a while, but its easy to read from what I can remember. Coveres the basics.If you are thinking about designing something i'd also reccomend getting Mech Eng design by J.Shigley, et al.the control stuff I don't really know aobut. I had Contol Systems by Dorf but I hated the subject and never opened the book since so I don't konw how good it is.
same with the flight specific stuff I never bothered with that in Uni.

@stewartcs
Ok peace men. :D

@xxChrisxx
Is it possible to study it by my own? I'm not an engineer student.

sarah22 said:
Is it possible to study it by my own? I'm not an engineer student.

Depends on you. If you are studying it for the first time, it may require another go at it.

Ok thanks. By the way, when should I study mechanical engineering topics? Is it fine after Linear Algebra or Calculus is enough.

sarah22 said:
Ok thanks. By the way, when should I study mechanical engineering topics? Is it fine after Linear Algebra or Calculus is enough.

You're college/university should have a course guideline. Please talk to an academic advisor at your school.

sarah22 said:

i'd say its fine to start after calculus but i haven't taken linear algebra yet. of course you'd be better off after linear algebra but you could always revisit the engineering topics after linear algebra if you wanted a stronger understanding. I am in my second year of mech engineering and I am taking calc 3 with analytic geometry which seems a lot like what linear algebra sounds like, vectors in 3d space and such.

p.s. that is quite the hefty undertaking to attempt to simulate the real world if i should say so myself. best of luck in your endeavors.

Last edited:

Related to What book can you recommend on studying

1. What book can you recommend for improving study skills?

One book that is highly recommended for improving study skills is "How to Become a Straight-A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real College Students Use to Score High While Studying Less" by Cal Newport. This book offers practical tips and strategies for efficient studying and time management.

2. Are there any books specifically for studying for exams?

Yes, there are several books that focus on studying for exams. One popular choice is "Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning" by Peter C. Brown, which delves into the science behind effective studying and offers techniques for retaining information and acing exams.

3. I struggle with staying motivated while studying. Any book recommendations?

"The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business" by Charles Duhigg is a great book for understanding and changing habits, including developing a habit of consistent studying. It offers practical advice for staying motivated and breaking bad study habits.

4. Is there a book that can help me with time management while studying?

Yes, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change" by Stephen R. Covey is a classic book that offers helpful strategies for managing time and priorities effectively. It also emphasizes the importance of balancing study time with self-care and other important aspects of life.

5. Are there any books specifically for online learning and study?

One book that is highly recommended for online learning and study is "Online Teaching at Its Best: Merging Instructional Design with Teaching and Learning Research" by Linda B. Nilson and Ludwika A. Goodson. This book offers practical advice and strategies for effective online learning, including study techniques and time management tips.