What can I say about this simple functional equation?

[itex]f(x) = e^{x} f(-x)[/itex] with f(x) > 0

Is there anything I can say about the general shape of this function (defined on the real axis)? For example the formula gives the derivative of f in zero in terms of f(0) (which is okay assuming I'm only interested in f up to a multiplicative constant).

EDIT: Note by the way that a non-trivial solution is [itex]f(x) = e^{x/2}[/itex] (although I'm more interested in normalizable solutions)

EDIT2: Another non-trivial solution is [itex]f(x) = e^{-(x-1)^2/4}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright I think I've found the general solution.

Since f(x) > 0, we can write [itex]f(x) = e^{g(x)}[/itex]. The functional equation becomes [itex]e^{g(x) - g(-x)} = e^x[/itex] such that [itex]g(x) = g(-x) + x[/itex]. If we assume we can write g(x) as a power series, we have [itex]g(x) = \sum a_n x^n[/itex]. Substituting it in the functional equation: [itex]\left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
a_1 = \frac{1}{2} & \\
a_{n} = 0 & \textrm{for $n > 1$ odd}
\end{array} \right.
[/itex]
The coefficients for the even powers are arbitrary. If we want the solution to be normalizable, we only need to demand that the coefficient of highest power is even with negative coefficient.

More general: [itex]f(x) \propto \exp \left( \frac{x}{2} + \sum_{n=1}^{+ \infty} a_{2n} x^{2n} \right) [/itex]

EDIT: perhaps a more insightful formulation [itex]f(x) = e^{x/2} \cdot h(x)[/itex] with h > 0 an even function.

Last edited:

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
[itex]g(x) = g(-x) + x[/itex]. If we assume we can write g(x) as a power series, …
easier is to notice the symmetry, and write g(x) - x/2 = g(-x) - (-x)/2 :wink:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving