mgb_phys said:
There being no time before the big bang, casuality is a bit tricky.
marcus said:
I don't understand why you say that. Many reputable scientists work with quantum cosmology models which reproduce the classic FRW picture but do not suffer from an initial singularity.
mgb_phys said:
I would say they are mathematicians.
There are two issues here. I would say that it is speculative to assert that time does not exist before the big bang. We don't know that.
I personally am skeptical and reserve judgement (and I think many cosmologists do as well). Regular time evolution may continue back, or it may not. There are equally good models, as far as fitting the data.
So I think it is speculation and liable to mislead readers, to assert that time does not exist before big bang.
======================
The other issue is how one should regard cosmologists currently studying cosmology models that extend back before. Should one flatly declare them not to be scientists?
Well the definition of a scientist is in part membership and status in a community. Who is recognized by peers and colleagues.
I think it would be healthy to do an objective reality check at this point. The relevant professional association is the GRG society (General Relativity and Gravitation). It holds large international meetings every three years, elects officers, awards the Xanthopoulos prize for research in GR/gravitation/cosmology. A good check would be to look at who gets invited to give plenary talks, who gets honored for their work by special awards, who gets elected president of the association.
I shouldn't have to point out the obvious, but if you look you will find that the scientists who are exploring nonsingular cosmic models (typically bounce models) are in very good standing indeed!
BTW I just did a keyword search at arxiv and compared the number of bounce-related preprints in two four-year periods 2001-2004 versus 2005-present. There has been an order of magnitude increase. Jumped from 91 to 774. This is a very rough measure. There has been a comparable jump in citations, again a rough measure.
One should be very skeptical about which models might or might not be
correct. Several recent papers I've seen try to identify observable differences in what models predict---especially subtle effects on CMB and structure formation. But it's clearly too early to make distinctions empirically.
I don't know of any professional cosmologist who would say at this point that time does NOT exist before big bang. Maybe there are---I simply don't know of anyone who says this. My guess is most professionals would reserve judgment at this point.
So I don't think the poster I quoted, mgb, is presenting an orthodox or "standard" view, if he declares that time does not exist before bang.
I would say that there is no scientific reason to declare that it exists and no scientific reason to declare that it does not exist. Should mention, though, that the models that don't break down have the advantage of simplicity---don't have to invent anything new, just run the model back. Occam would like that. But they still need to be tested.
===============
in case anyone is interested in some of the details:
http://www.grg18.com/
about 600 attended--all branches of gravitation science (observational e.g. wave, as well as theory)
Ashtekar was elected president of GRG at the last meeting
Bojowald was awarded the Xanthopoulos (split with another quantum gravitist)
http://www.science.psu.edu/alert/Bojowald5-2008.htm
http://grg.maths.qmul.ac.uk/grgsoc/xanthrules.html