What causes the radioactive decay of an unstable nucleus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a radium atom's decay as an example of "spontaneous power" or an uncaused event in a paper, while a professor argues that it is caused by quantum fluctuations. The conversation explores the concept of nuclear decay, its relation to the weak force, and the idea that it is a random process that cannot be predicted. The conversation also touches on the difference between "uncaused" and "random" and the potential for error in conflating the two. The speaker requests citable resources to aid in understanding the topic as a philosophy student.
sayetsu
Homework Statement
A philosopher uses the example of a radium atom's decay as an example of an "uncaused" power, but my prof says such events are actually caused by "quantum fluctuations."
Relevant Equations
n/a
A philosopher whose work I'm using in a paper uses a radium atom's decay as an example of a "spontaneous power," or an uncaused event. My professor, though, says "quantum fluctuations" cause radioactive decay. What are these fluctuations, and do we know what causes them? It's a college paper, so I could use some citable resources which I could understand as a student of philosophy, not physics, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nuclear decay is an example of the weak force or weak interaction:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_interaction

Note that quantum mechanical interactions obey energy conservation, so there is no spontaneous power generated, where power is energy per unit time. The total energy of the system is conserved.

PeroK said:
Nuclear decay is an example of the weak force or weak interaction.
If it's some sort of beta decay. Radium initially decays by emitting an alpha particle, which is due to tunneling.

https://www.nist.gov/image-23773

Likes vanhees71
The decay is random, though, in the sense that we cannot predict when a given atom will decay. All we can do (AFAIK) is determine an accurate half-life for a large collection of the unstable atoms.

Conflating "uncaused" with "random" seems to be an error, but I hesitate to say that for sure, without knowing what the philosopher's definition is for "uncaused."

Likes vanhees71, PhDeezNutz and FactChecker
So we have two philosophers (your professor and this other person) going back and forth about a physics topic?

I hope OP settles this quandary and gets a good grade on his/her paper but I don’t see this thread lasting long.

Likes pbuk, vanhees71 and Bystander

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable nucleus of an atom releases energy and particles in order to become more stable.

2. What causes radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is caused by the imbalance between the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom. This imbalance leads to an unstable nucleus, which then undergoes radioactive decay.

3. What particles are emitted during radioactive decay?

During radioactive decay, three types of particles can be emitted from the nucleus: alpha particles (helium nuclei), beta particles (electrons or positrons), and gamma rays (high-energy photons).

4. Does the rate of radioactive decay ever change?

The rate of radioactive decay, also known as the half-life, is a constant for a specific type of atom. It does not change under normal circumstances, but external factors such as temperature and pressure can affect it.

5. What is the significance of radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay has many important applications in fields such as medicine, energy production, and geology. It is also a natural process that helps maintain the balance of elements in the universe.