What classes should I take over the summer?

In summary, Michael recommends taking a relatively easy course that fulfills general degree requirements in lieu of taking a challenging math or physics course in an accelerated summer schedule. Taking a challenging math or physics course in an accelerated summer schedule is usually ill advised.
akan
Hi,

I'm considering the following classes:
PHY 126, which is Physics B, and it meets 6 times a week (3x LEC, 3x LAB).
MAT 211, which is Intro to Linear Algebra, and it meets 3 times a week for 6 weeks.
Or a general non-science course that is required by the diversified education curriculum in my university. These include art classes, music classes, language classes, etc.

Now, PHY is a type of course that I personally am having trouble with during the course of regular semester, but only because there is work for other classes involved, and there's just very little time. I'm not sure how much this course would cover in one week (as opposed to 1 chapter a week for regular semester).

MAT 211 - well, if there were no other courses during a regular semester, then, and I can only speak for the math courses I already took (non-accelerated Calc A, B, C), I would be able to handle those three at at least 2x the pace (2 chapters a week as opposed to one). But I don't know about linear algebra, I never took linear algrebra (hence why this is intro), so I don't know how difficult it is.

General courses - they are just too diverse, and I have no idea whether it would make sense to take classes such as "Acting I", "Performing and Performance", "Intro to Music", "Intro to French", "Foundations of Drawing", etc.

Please give me some advice.

Thanks,
Anthony

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking challenging math and physics courses in an accelerated summer schedule is usually ill advised. One farmer can produce a grain crop in four months, but four farmers cannot produce a grain crop in one month. Learning is similar. Real understanding of the math or physics you suggest is possible in a compressed summer term, but it is rare and somewhat like taking a dring of water from a fire hose.

Take a relatively easy course that fulfills general degree requirements.

Michael Courtney

Thank you for your advice. That is what I was inclined to do. :smile:

What about linear algebra in a 4 week summer session? The truth is I have to take it if I want to graduate next spring. Any advice though for how to do it?

Is it like organic chemistry which is a class which requires a long time to develop a certain intuition needed to solve problems or can I develop the linear algebra skills in a reasonably shorter time? I heard linear algebra is one of the easier math classes (although everything is relative I guess)

Last edited:
My advice is to go on holiday, or get a job so you can earn some money. I never understand why people would want to attend college all year around. After all, you can take books with you to read whilst lying on the beach, if you so wish!

What about linear algebra in a 4 week summer session? The truth is I have to take it if I want to graduate next spring. Any advice though for how to do it?

My guess is that it would be very difficult in a 7 week period, let alone 4 weeks. Are you sure you don't have any longer "buffer" semesters?

My advice is to go on holiday, or get a job so you can earn some money. I never understand why people would want to attend college all year around. After all, you can take books with you to read whilst lying on the beach, if you so wish!

1) Reading books does not earn credits and does not satisfy degree requirements
2) College summer break is way too long (4 months here), and that sucks for two reasons:
  • Long breaks from studying make it difficult to return into studying mode later.
  • 4 months is a waste, I personally don't need so much time to relax. One and a half months is more than sufficient.
  • Summer classes don't take all the time, so they can be combined with both relaxation/sports and work.
  • Not taking classes over the summer means more work during regular semesters, and that's just irrational to subscribe for.

I think I'm going to take one language class and one required general curriculum class.

akan said:
1) Reading books does not earn credits and does not satisfy degree requirements
2) College summer break is way too long (4 months here), and that sucks for two reasons:
1. If you're only bothered about obtaining "credits" and ticking boxes, rather than actually learning material, then fine, take summer classes. I presumed that you would want to actually learn material, though.
2. I loved my four month breaks-- I tended to take a few weeks off, then work pretty much full time to earn some extra cash to enable me to survive during the next year at university, then take a few weeks summer holiday in the sun before going back to university. Of course one can still study over the summer to keep one's "eye in".

cristo said:
1. If you're only bothered about obtaining "credits" and ticking boxes, rather than actually learning material, then fine, take summer classes. I presumed that you would want to actually learn material, though.

I think that's an unrealistic assessment. Most people on this forum presumably enjoy learning for the sake of learning, but you need credits and ticked boxes if you want to (for instance) apply to grad school or get a relevant job.

JohnDuck said:
I think that's an unrealistic assessment. Most people on this forum presumably enjoy learning for the sake of learning, but you need credits and ticked boxes if you want to (for instance) apply to grad school or get a relevant job.

Sure, tick boxes and learn simultaneously. But, from what others have said, taking summer courses seems to be cramming classes into an extremely small time scale, and thus will have a negative impact on the actual learning.

cristo said:

Actually, I never said anything like that. The summer classes I am looking to take lie directly in my range of interests, so I would be learning material of interest to me and ticking boxes simultaneously.

cristo said:
But, from what others have said, taking summer courses seems to be cramming classes into an extremely small time scale, and thus will have a negative impact on the actual learning.

Well, if the subject is of interest, then one would tend to spend more time on just that subject, and thus there would be no harm to learning - as opposed to the case where the subject is not of interest and is absorbed by the person only superficially, the case where the subject is of interest, I think, would just create an expansion to the knowledge that would be gained by just the independent absorption of the same subject, wouldn't it?

For instance (and this is just an example, I'm not intending to preach anything here), one could study a work like "Tao Te Ching" on one's own and understand a certain amount, or add to that studying in a classroom "for a ticked box (or not)", and maybe understand more via the input from the class.

cristo said:
I loved my four month breaks-- I tended to take a few weeks off, then work pretty much full time to earn some extra cash to enable me to survive during the next year at university, then take a few weeks summer holiday in the sun before going back to university. Of course one can still study over the summer to keep one's "eye in".

I don't know about you, but for me, personally, it is difficult to return into "studying mode" after even a 1 1/2 month break, even though I'm usually into it. Yes, taking a summer job is great use for the time, too, but I think these can be combined, and that's what I am planning to do. :)

By the way, who can suggest a source of cool summer jobs other than the ordinary ones? I mean, things like working in camps, etc. I know, this is a little off-topic, but I am the creator of the thread, so I may... lol. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What are the benefits of taking classes over the summer?

Taking classes over the summer can have several benefits. It allows you to continue your academic progress and potentially graduate earlier. It can also help you catch up on any classes you may have missed or struggled with during the regular school year. Additionally, taking summer classes can free up time in your schedule during the regular school year to pursue other interests or internships.

2. How do I know which classes to take over the summer?

The classes you should take over the summer will depend on your personal academic goals and requirements. It's important to consult with your academic advisor to determine which classes would be most beneficial for you to take over the summer. They can also help you make sure that the classes you choose will transfer to your institution and count towards your degree.

3. Are summer classes more difficult than regular classes?

Summer classes are typically more condensed, meaning that the same amount of material is covered in a shorter period of time. This can make them more challenging, but it also means that you can focus on one or two subjects at a time, which can be beneficial for some students. It's important to manage your time effectively and stay on top of assignments and readings in order to succeed in summer classes.

4. Can I take classes at a different institution over the summer?

Yes, many institutions allow students to take classes at other institutions over the summer, as long as they are accredited and the credits will transfer. This can be a great option if your home institution does not offer the classes you need over the summer, or if you want to take classes at a different institution for a different experience.

5. Are there any classes that are not recommended to take over the summer?

Some students may find it more challenging to take math or science classes over the summer due to the condensed schedule. Additionally, classes that require a lot of hands-on or group work may not be as effective in a summer setting. It's important to consider your own learning style and preferences when choosing which classes to take over the summer.