1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Classes should I take next year?

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

First I just want to say that I find this forum really interesting and very helpful - so thanks to all those who answer these questions!

Onto my questions - I am a Junior physics major considering what classes to take next year. I am lucky enough to have all of my requirements fulfilled to graduate except for one 3-credit senior physics lab. So next year I just have to fill up the rest of the 120 credits needed to graduate. The only problem is that I have already taken almost all of the undergraduate physics classes, including a full year of quantum, E&M, Stat mech, classical mech, and graduate math methods.

I am planning on doing a senior thesis on something computational (there are a lot of options for that), so there goes 3-6 credits depending. But this leaves me with an extra 6 credits in the fall, and 9 credits in the spring. I am probably going to take a year of graduate quantum (because quantum and I get along really well), but i don't know what else to take. Would it be suicide to sign up for another graduate course like classical mechanics or stat. mech?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    Have you considered a graduate course in something like probability theory, differential geometry, linear algebra, complex analysis etc.? I'm not a physicist but my friends who are physics major and who are roughly on the same track as you plan to do this and have been told it's quite helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook