What Classes should I take next year?

In summary, the speaker is a junior physics major who is planning their classes for the next year. They only need one 3-credit senior physics lab to graduate and have already taken most of the required undergraduate physics classes. They plan on doing a senior thesis on something computational, leaving them with 6 credits in the fall and 9 credits in the spring. They are considering taking a year of graduate quantum, but are unsure of what other courses to take. Another person suggests taking graduate courses in areas such as probability theory, differential geometry, linear algebra, and complex analysis, which have been recommended by other physics majors.
F. Liszt
Hi all,

First I just want to say that I find this forum really interesting and very helpful - so thanks to all those who answer these questions!

Onto my questions - I am a Junior physics major considering what classes to take next year. I am lucky enough to have all of my requirements fulfilled to graduate except for one 3-credit senior physics lab. So next year I just have to fill up the rest of the 120 credits needed to graduate. The only problem is that I have already taken almost all of the undergraduate physics classes, including a full year of quantum, E&M, Stat mech, classical mech, and graduate math methods.

I am planning on doing a senior thesis on something computational (there are a lot of options for that), so there goes 3-6 credits depending. But this leaves me with an extra 6 credits in the fall, and 9 credits in the spring. I am probably going to take a year of graduate quantum (because quantum and I get along really well), but i don't know what else to take. Would it be suicide to sign up for another graduate course like classical mechanics or stat. mech?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered a graduate course in something like probability theory, differential geometry, linear algebra, complex analysis etc.? I'm not a physicist but my friends who are physics major and who are roughly on the same track as you plan to do this and have been told it's quite helpful.

1. What are the most important classes to take next year?

The most important classes to take next year will depend on your individual goals and interests. However, some generally recommended classes include core subjects like English, math, science, and history, as well as electives that align with your career or college plans.

2. Should I take advanced or honors classes next year?

It is generally a good idea to challenge yourself and take advanced or honors classes if you are capable and motivated. These classes can help prepare you for college and demonstrate your academic strengths to future schools or employers.

3. How many classes should I take next year?

The number of classes you should take next year will depend on your school's requirements and your own capabilities. It is generally recommended to take a full course load (usually around 6-8 classes), but make sure to consider your extracurricular activities and personal commitments as well.

4. Can I switch to a different class if I don't like the one I chose?

It is possible to switch to a different class if you don't like the one you initially chose, but it may depend on your school's policies and class availability. It is always best to discuss any desired changes with your guidance counselor or academic advisor.

5. How can I make sure I am choosing the right classes for my future goals?

To ensure you are choosing the right classes for your future goals, it is important to research and understand the requirements for your desired career or college path. You can also consult with your guidance counselor or academic advisor for personalized recommendations and advice.