What colors do ions of various elements produce in a flame test?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 312213
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lab Test
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 25K views
312213
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Checking the before and after of ions of various elements for the flame test.


Homework Equations


None really.


The Attempt at a Solution


I looked online for the elements but am not sure the data is correct/accurate enough.
So far I have:
Ion-Before-After
Aluminum-Grey/clear-No color, more or less, or white
Ammonium-White cloud/Clear-No color
Barium-Silver/White cloud-Green (apple green)
Calcium-Clear/Silver/White cloud-Brick red/orange/yellow-orange
Cobalt (II)-Red-Pink/Blue
Copper (II)-Turquoise-Blue/Turquoise
Iron (III)-Orange-brown/Yellow/Pale purple-Gold
Lithium-Clear-Crimson red
Manganese (II)-Slightly brown-Yellowish green/silver/no color
Potassium-Clear-Violet/Purple
Sodium-Clear-Yellow/Yellow-orange
Zinc-Clear/Slightly brown-Bluish green

I would like the data to be verified, or at least part of it, particularly the before colors that are white/clear
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "before" - color of the ion in the solution?
 
Yes before is the color of the ion. It would be how the liquid looks before put into the flame. The colors for before, for most of them, the color that I observed of the liquids, but I'm not sure they are described accurately enough.