1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What defines an operator input/output for simple expressions

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    Hello. I have some questions on operations.

Suppose in the course of a derivation there is a mathematical statement of the form
    A+1=B+C
    then "+" is an operator acting on inputs "B" and "C".
    Question 1: Is the output of the operation "A" or the expression "B+C"?
    The reason I think the output may be "B+C" is because in the statement X=(Y+Z)+W, wouldn't the output of the first addition be Y+Z?

Question 2: Since the equals sign "=" has two inputs, the left hand side (LHS) and right hand side (RHS) expressions, is it also an operator?
    How does one distinguish whether A+1 is the input or B+C is the input?
    If "=" is an operator, what is the output? If "=" is not an operator, what is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, benno! :smile:

The operation "+" on B and C has as output indeed "B+C".

The symbol "=" represents a "relation".

Suppose we're only talking about the real numbers ##\mathbb R## with the regular addition "+" and the regular equality "=".

Then, mathematically, "+" is a function, defined as:
    $$+: \mathbb R \times \mathbb R \to \mathbb R \qquad \text{ with }(x,y) \mapsto x+y$$
    That is, the plus function has two real numbers as input, and one real number as output.

The relation "=" defined on the real numbers is the set:
    $$\{ (x,x) : x \in \mathbb R \}$$
    That is, two real numbers have an equality relation with each other if they are the same number.
    In your case "A+1" has an equality relation with "B+C".

Btw, "=" can also be considered an operation.
    In that case both "A+1" and "B+C" are inputs, and the output is either "true" or "false".

4. Jan 5, 2013 #3
    Thanks very much for the clear explanation. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook