What did I just see, guys?

1. Hello, everyone! Merely an hour ago (at 1:25 +11 GMT to be precise) I saw something in the pictures of the night sky that I took using my camera, using 15, 30 and 60 seconds exposure. (Some time passed between shots) The object that caught my eye is a purple-violet oval, or a thing that is moving above the central building in the middle.

[​IMG]
    ---- 15 seconds exposure (camera slid a bit)

[​IMG]
    ---- 30 seconds exposure

[​IMG]
    ---- 60 seconds

I have to note, that I couldn't find the object in the sky with my binoculars, or see it with an unaided eye - It's onl seen in the pictures. Could it be something unknown, or just a simple reflection of light that got in camera?

By the way, the camera was facing West

1 person likes this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

It's probably just an issue with light reflecting off the optics in a particular way, but I really can't say.

4. Borg

Borg 1,235
    Gold Member

The images website is blocked where I'm at but, I'll take a guess and suggest that it might be a satellite. Take a look at this site to see what might have passed by your area recently - http://www.heavens-above.com. My first thought would be an Iridium satellite. They can be very bright but they only last a few seconds.

5. Borek

Looks to me like a reflection, satellites look completely different.

6. jtbell

In the last two pictures, the elongated blob is oriented at different angles from the vertical, but in both cases it's perpendicular to a line that runs radially from the very bright light to the left. Therefore I also think it's an internal reflection in the lens. The purple color probably comes from coatings on the lens affecting different wavelengths differently.

7. I guess you guys are right, this is a reflection. Thanks for your help! :D

8. Borg

Borg 1,235
    Gold Member

I can see it now from home. Yeah, that doesn't look like a satellite.

9. Borek

[​IMG]

10. Dotini

Dotini 758
    Gold Member

The sensitivity to infrared on a camera may be superior to the human eye.

11. Generally digital color cameras are equipped with IR/UV cut filters for a host of different reasons. Their sensitivity to IR light should be zero.

12. LCKurtz

LCKurtz 8,391
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Being in the right place at the right time, I was able to get a clearer picture with my ultra high resolution camera:

[​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted