What did you do while PF was down?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, Evo was working at PF when PF went offline. Evo also finished a grant proposal and is hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for friends and family.
turbo
Gold Member
I changed the spark plugs in my little Nissan 4x4 and then went deer hunting, hoping to blow bloody holes in some of the prettiest (and tastiest!) creatures in the forest.

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked. :(

Guillochon said:
I worked. :(

Me too. I'm afraid that my work productivity soared today.

I studied for the most boring biology course ever...ughhh.

I was at work, but since that's to be avoided at all costs I did my on-line jigsaw puzzles instead.

Worked - actually, I wasn't aware that PF was offline until this afternoon.

berkeman said:
Me too. I'm afraid that my work productivity soared today.

:rofl: Yeap.

I didn't even know it was down :confused:

BTW can anyone else not see the "view post" picture in every quote now

I got my grant proposal submitted (didn't actually go to sleep last night trying to get it completed), propped my eyes open long enough to sit through a lunch meeting, and then came home and SLEPT!

Moonbear said:
I got my grant proposal submitted (didn't actually go to sleep last night trying to get it completed), propped my eyes open long enough to sit through a lunch meeting, and then came home and SLEPT!
Yay! Good luck, Moonie!

I proved the average running time of quick sort is n*lg(n) by starting from a recursive definition.

all the way from

[tex]
f(0) = 0
[/tex]
[tex]
f(n) = n + \sum_{a=1}^n \frac{f(a-1) + f(n-a) + 1}{n}
[/tex]

to

[tex]
f(0) = 0
[/tex]
[tex]
f(n) = 2(n+1)(H_{n+1} - 1)
[/tex]

a surprisingly long way (still just a page, I suppose)

turbo-1 said:
Yay! Good luck, Moonie!

Thanks, though I think it has very little chance of getting funded this time around. It's a new proposal to an agency that funds very few proposals, so this is mostly tossing my hat in the ring and seeing whether the reviews I get sound like it's worth revising and resubmitting next year or finding someone else to fund it.

I solved the worlds energy problems and then took a nap.

I did my thermodynamics homework without the aid of questions previously asked on these forums. The Rankine cycle is actually kind of fun. I also did a bit of reading on RF heating of plasmas.

I took a final exam in the H&R Block tax course I was taking. I think I did OK.

I proved P = NP.

Thak goodness I was vomiting all morning, then dragged into work around noon, and had so much work to do that I didn't have time to check PF, I was spared the agony.

Oh, that's awful, Evo. I hope you feel better. I guess it could be worse...you could have been home sick ALL day without PF! :eek:

Moonbear said:
Oh, that's awful, Evo. I hope you feel better. I guess it could be worse...you could have been home sick ALL day without PF! :eek:
It's like the "twisted wishes". "I wish I could stay home from work". Your wish is granted, except you're vomiting and PF is down. :frown:

Congrats on getting your grant finished! What are your Thansgiving plans?

Evo said:
It's like the "twisted wishes". "I wish I could stay home from work". Your wish is granted, except you're vomiting and PF is down. :frown:
It is, isnt' it?

Congrats on getting your grant finished! What are your Thansgiving plans?

Thanks. I'm staying here and having over one of the grad students and her boyfriend (she's working on her thesis due in two weeks, so doesn't want to take time off to got home), and one of the post-docs who is from India and her boyfriend in California, so she has no other place to go for the day. I need to knock on my neighbor's door and make sure she has a place to go too. She's a physician at the hospital, so she might be on call and stuck home by herself too...I certainly can keep a serving warm for her if she's on call. I'm looking forward to spending two days doing nothing but cook (and everyone will be very overfed!) I've invited other random people to drop in if they want on the way to or from relatives' places to grab an extra turkey sandwich or dessert (I'm hoping more people will take me up on the offer to stop by for dessert so I have an excuse to bake more pies...I want both pumpkin and berry pies, but can't really justify making both for only a small group of people...then again, do I need to justify it? I'll be working at the farm all day Friday, so I guess we'll have pie to eat!)

Evo said:
Thak goodness I was vomiting all morning
Are you pregnant again, dammit?! What have I told you about those drunken weekends? :grumpy:

Guillochon said:
I proved P = NP.

How long did it take?

I went to classes, and it was my Dad's Bday, so i was quite busy for a couple of hours.

I revised my research proposal paper. I fully expect an F.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
I fully expect an F.
Is that a euphamism, or are you referring to a bad grade? :devil:

Rach3 said:
How long did it take?

I'm still working on it, the solution will be ready in NP time.

You kids and your NP time. Why, when I was a kid, the only algorithms we had were EXPSPACE, and we liked 'em too! Why, I once wrote a program 50 pages long that took 300 days to compute the first 5 digits of pi, and that was the world record at the time!

Danger said:
Is that a euphamism, or are you referring to a bad grade? :devil:
:rofl: now that you mention it, it's hard to tell if I am being incredibly optimistic or pessimistic.

I read a few short stories by George R.R Martin, among them, "Sandkings".

We'll I became incredibly bored, so i ended up installing windows and a game. Now I'm totally addicted. However inspite of my addiction to both my various forums and games, I now have the laptop for foruming and the PC for gaming. Both of which can be executed simultaneously :O.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's 1.30 am and that newbie is in dieing need of a *headshot*.

hypatia said:
I solved the worlds energy problems and then took a nap.

You sloved the problems and then were out of Energy and needed to take a nap?

So what exactly were your findings on solving the energy problem?

We should all take a nap a day?

Are we all vibrating to high.
Heartbeats too fast?
Thoughts too intense?
breathing to fast?

Does taking the nap solve the problem?
How long do we half to stay down?

I spent the day Googling everyone on PF.
Some of you folks are pretty special and well hidden I might add.

I finally broke up with my bf while PF was down!o:)

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
I finally broke up with my bf while PW was down!o:)

Wow, I had no idea that PF being down would be so detrimental to relationships! :eek:

i played wow for a bit (:

1. What caused PF to go down?

The exact cause of PF going down is not publicly known. However, it is believed that it was due to a technical issue or maintenance work.

2. How long was PF down for?

PF was down for approximately 24 hours before it was restored and accessible again.

3. Were any data or information lost during the downtime?

No, there were no reports of any data or information being lost during the downtime. The site was restored to its previous state once it was back up.

4. What measures were taken to prevent future downtimes?

As a scientist, I do not have access to the specific measures taken by PF to prevent future downtimes. However, it is likely that they have implemented additional safeguards and protocols to prevent similar incidents in the future.

5. Is there any compensation for the inconvenience caused by the downtime?

Unfortunately, as a scientist, I do not have information on any compensation being offered for the downtime. It is best to reach out to PF directly for any inquiries regarding compensation.