Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What did you do while PF was down?

1. Nov 20, 2006 #1

turbo

Gold Member

I changed the spark plugs in my little Nissan 4x4 and then went deer hunting, hoping to blow bloody holes in some of the prettiest (and tastiest!) creatures in the forest.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2006 #2
    I worked. :(

4. Nov 20, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Me too. I'm afraid that my work productivity soared today.

5. Nov 20, 2006 #4
    I studied for the most boring biology course ever...ughhh.

6. Nov 20, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I was at work, but since that's to be avoided at all costs I did my on-line jigsaw puzzles instead.

7. Nov 20, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Worked - actually, I wasn't aware that PF was offline until this afternoon.

8. Nov 20, 2006 #7
    :rofl: Yeap.

9. Nov 20, 2006 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

I didn't even know it was down :confused:

BTW can anyone else not see the "view post" picture in every quote now

10. Nov 20, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got my grant proposal submitted (didn't actually go to sleep last night trying to get it completed), propped my eyes open long enough to sit through a lunch meeting, and then came home and SLEPT!!!!

11. Nov 20, 2006 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Yay! Good luck, Moonie!

12. Nov 20, 2006 #11

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I proved the average running time of quick sort is n*lg(n) by starting from a recursive definition.

all the way from

[tex]
    f(0) = 0
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    f(n) = n + \sum_{a=1}^n \frac{f(a-1) + f(n-a) + 1}{n}
    [/tex]

to

[tex]
    f(0) = 0
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    f(n) = 2(n+1)(H_{n+1} - 1)
    [/tex]

a surprisingly long way (still just a page, I suppose)

13. Nov 20, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, though I think it has very little chance of getting funded this time around. It's a new proposal to an agency that funds very few proposals, so this is mostly tossing my hat in the ring and seeing whether the reviews I get sound like it's worth revising and resubmitting next year or finding someone else to fund it.

14. Nov 20, 2006 #13
    I solved the worlds energy problems and then took a nap.

15. Nov 20, 2006 #14
    I did my thermodynamics homework without the aid of questions previously asked on these forums. The Rankine cycle is actually kind of fun. I also did a bit of reading on RF heating of plasmas.

16. Nov 20, 2006 #15

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I took a final exam in the H&R Block tax course I was taking. I think I did OK.

17. Nov 20, 2006 #16
    I proved P = NP.

18. Nov 20, 2006 #17

Evo

Thak goodness I was vomiting all morning, then dragged into work around noon, and had so much work to do that I didn't have time to check PF, I was spared the agony.

19. Nov 20, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, that's awful, Evo. I hope you feel better. I guess it could be worse...you could have been home sick ALL day without PF! :eek:

20. Nov 20, 2006 #19

Evo

It's like the "twisted wishes". "I wish I could stay home from work". Your wish is granted, except you're vomiting and PF is down. :frown:

Congrats on getting your grant finished!!! What are your Thansgiving plans?

21. Nov 20, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is, isnt' it?

Thanks. I'm staying here and having over one of the grad students and her boyfriend (she's working on her thesis due in two weeks, so doesn't want to take time off to got home), and one of the post-docs who is from India and her boyfriend in California, so she has no other place to go for the day. I need to knock on my neighbor's door and make sure she has a place to go too. She's a physician at the hospital, so she might be on call and stuck home by herself too...I certainly can keep a serving warm for her if she's on call. I'm looking forward to spending two days doing nothing but cook (and everyone will be very overfed!) I've invited other random people to drop in if they want on the way to or from relatives' places to grab an extra turkey sandwich or dessert (I'm hoping more people will take me up on the offer to stop by for dessert so I have an excuse to bake more pies...I want both pumpkin and berry pies, but can't really justify making both for only a small group of people...then again, do I need to justify it? I'll be working at the farm all day Friday, so I guess we'll have pie to eat!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?