What Discovery Did You Find Most Interesting or Surprising?

In summary, the most interesting or surprising scientific discovery to me has been when scientists found evidence that suggests Einstein was correct about gravitational waves.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Which Scientific Discovery (that you've experienced during your life) has been the most interesting or surprising to you, based on your prior knowledge?

And why?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
Which Scientific Discovery (that you've experienced during your life) has been the most interesting or surprising to you, based on your prior knowledge?
Why don't you start us off :)

BillTre said:
That Fermat's proof really did not fit on the margin.

Likes berkeman
Greg Bernhardt said:
Why don't you start us off :)
Had to make it shorter.

When I was in High School, I was pretty amazed at Plate Tectonics explaining a lot of things I found interesting. But that was not really a thing I was current on. It was more of a gradual dawning.

So I would say it was probably when this paper showed that Hox clusters in vertebrates (deuterostomes) and insects (protostomes) shared so many of the same properties (important for establishing the Anterior-Posterior body axis in bilaterally symmetrical animals).

Hox clusters are large genetic regions, conserved for possibly more than 550 MY (depending on time of origin of the bilaterally symmetric metazoans). Hox gene expression and mutant phenotypes indicating they are involved in assigning cell fate along the A-P axis. This cellular process involves many different proteins from many different genes and instructs fruit fly cells how to develop based upon their position in the embryo; as a thoraic segment 1 leg cell, or a thoraic segment 2 leg cell for example. Genes at one end of a cluster affect the front of the embryo, genes at the other end affect back end of the animal. These clusters are very big and very complex and are very well conserved. This continuous selection, implies an essential function that can not be lost (like making the A-P axis).

To me, this indicates:
  • gastrulation (establishing the A-P axis & how mesoderm (muscle, bones, etc) forms) differences
  • between the protostomes (most invertebrates) and deuterostomes (vertebrates and echinoderms)
  • evolved in an already bilaterally symmetrical, two layered (endoderm and ectoderm) animal, after the front and back ends were (A-P (Anterior-Posterior) axis).
  • Perhaps a flatworm-like thing, like this. (Current flatworms are protostomes however, so would have to be different, unless deuterostomy is a state derived from the protostome situation.)

The detection of gravitational waves at LIGO. It was not surprising but a very exciting moment, becaude it came 100 years after Einstein's prediction, proving that he was really one smart dude.

1. What was the most interesting discovery you made?

The most interesting discovery I have made was the existence of microplastics in the deepest parts of the ocean. This discovery highlights the global impact of plastic pollution and its potential consequences for marine life.

2. What made this discovery particularly surprising?

This discovery was particularly surprising because the deep sea was previously thought to be relatively untouched by human activities. The presence of microplastics in such remote and extreme environments was unexpected and alarming.

3. How did you come across this discovery?

I came across this discovery while conducting research on deep-sea ecosystems. We collected sediment samples from the seafloor and analyzed them for microplastics using specialized equipment and techniques.

4. What implications does this discovery have?

This discovery has significant implications for the environment and human health. It shows that plastic pollution is a global issue that affects even the most remote and pristine areas. It also raises concerns about the potential impacts of microplastics on marine organisms and the food chain.

5. What further research is needed in this area?

Further research is needed to better understand the sources and distribution of microplastics in the deep sea, as well as their potential effects on marine life. This will help inform strategies for mitigating plastic pollution and protecting our oceans.