Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do Bosons travel through?

1. May 22, 2010 #1

jaketodd

Gold Member

Do Bosons travel just through each other, or through matter as well?

Thanks,

Jake

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2
    a photon is a boson, a pion is a boson, helium is a boson... there are many bosons

4. May 22, 2010 #3

jaketodd

Gold Member

On Wikipedia it says "bosons with the same energy can occupy the same place in space"

So is it only the same type of boson at the same energy that can pass through each other?

Can bosons occupy the same place in space only with other ones of the same type and same energy? Or, can different types of bosons at the same energy (if that's possible) occupy the same location in space? If so, does that apply to all bosons?

Thanks,

Jake

5. May 22, 2010 #4
    same place in space is a bad phrasing since quantum particles have no definite position, what it should read is "same quantum state"

and different kind of bosons are of course different states...

6. May 22, 2010 #5

jaketodd

Gold Member

Thanks ansgar.

7. May 22, 2010 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

As is an iron atom. A bar of steel is not likely to go travelling through much of anything.

8. May 25, 2010 #7
    With the advent of General Relativity, our understanding of space-time changed and we eliminated a background space-time. In essence, we ended up with fields on top of fields, if you will. The gravitational field is proposed to be a massless gauge-boson field no? If we have fields on top of fields, then what are these gauge bosons moving through? certainly not space or time! I think the question is pretty deep, and as of right now or maybe ever, unanswerable...

9. May 26, 2010 #8
    I would think bosons travel through space. What do you guys think?

10. May 26, 2010 #9

I agree that the question is deep. It is made even deeper by the fact that there is no classical picture of what bosons really are either. It reminds me of RUTA's paper on the Relational Block Universe where they rightfully stated - we don't really know what both space and matter are.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook